Reload this Page >

Hilton Waikoloa - Big Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2001, 12:26 PM
Lynn

I will be staying at the Hilton Waikoloa in September. I understand that this place is huge and you need shuttle/boat transportation to the various buildings. What building should I ask to stay in? Travel agent recommended Ocean because it has the nicest pool (true?), but I'm wondering if the main building (Palace?) makes more sense to cut down on transporation time? What about Lagoon? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old May 15th, 2001, 01:36 PM
Shelly

We stayed in the Lagoon building and thought the location was great. It seemed to me that it is the closest to the main hotel entrance and probably the quickest transportation-wise. If you are planning to leave the resort every day to go snorkle or sightsee elsewhere, I would recommend Lagoon. Ask the travel agent or the desk clerk for a room facing the ocean and lagoon.

However, I don't think you can really go wrong, even though the hotel is very spread out, there are so many pleasant options for getting from point A to point B. I didn't notice a difference between the quality of the pools, they are each different and each is great. Regardless of where you stay, be sure to take some time on your first day to see the whole resort, and if you can, go on the underground tunnel tour.

We had a wonderful trip there. Have fun!

Old May 15th, 2001, 02:57 PM
annemarie

I can't recall the tower we stayed in but it was the one furthest to the main entrance. The distances are very walkable...not to worry. The main pool is right beside the Dolphin Encounter and obviously the busiest. We enjoyed being in our tower though as the buffet breakfast(an dinners) were downstairs, so we would head there for breakfast and then go back up to clean our teeth and get ready for a morning at the pool or whatever. The transportation system is just a bonus. We loved the place. Have fun!!

Old May 15th, 2001, 03:20 PM
Sandy

We stayed there for 10 days a couple of years ago and loved it. Yes, the property is large, but the walkways in and around the property are lovely to explore and there is a direct walkway (with an amazing multi-million dollar, museum-quality art display) to the hotel entrance from either side so you don't have to take the tram or boats unless you want to (or have a mobility problem) or are in a hurry (and to be honest, you can almost walk as fast as the canal boats go, but not as fun!). As far as a recommendation as to a room location, it depends on your personal preference. The tower near the largest pool which has the water slide, rope bridge, jacuzzi, ice cream stand, etc. attracts a lot of children, noise and splashing, if you're traveling with children this the best location for you. The tower at the dolphin lagoon is lovely and closest to the wonderful spa and shopping, but I hear is a bit on the more expensive side, the other towers on the opposite side of the property are closer to the adults-only pool and the smaller kids pool so that area on the property won't be as "busy". Our room was near the adults-only pool and the golf course and we were very happy with the location, plus, if you are breakfast eaters, that is where the buffet breakfast resturant on the property is located so you don't have to go far to get your breakfast in the a.m.! Either way, enjoy the vacation!

Old May 15th, 2001, 06:23 PM
David

For relatively the same price I'd check out the Hapuna Prince and/or Mauna Lani. They might be a little higher but it would be money well spent (my humble opinion).