Reload this Page >

Hilton SF and Towers?

Search

Hilton SF and Towers?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 06:59 PM
Joe

Hilton SF and Towers?

Ok, I'm thinking of knocking a couple of days off my 9 day trip so I can stay in a nicer hotel. Anybody ever stayed at this Hilton? I've heard it's the largest hotel on the west coast. I'm looking for a good size room with modern facilities. I've found a rate of $229 per night. Too much?
Thanks.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 10:52 PM
Dave

It's an okay hotel but like you said it's big. It's a prime conference hotel so be prepared for crowds. The rate sounds about right, but try and get a room in the "new" wing. If I remember correctly, there was a Hotel Nikko and Renaissance Hotel close by that also looked good.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 03:43 AM
John

The SF Hilton is just too large for the single traveler, in my opinion! (It's not one of the nicer Hiltons, either). I'd look around for something a little more intimate. Compared to the Hilton, this is every other hotel in SF!

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 04:39 AM
Joe

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll look around some more.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 11:08 AM
John

Joe:

I have stayed there a few times, but only when I get a screaming deal! (like $129/night) Too big! Too full of tour groups Nice rooms nice location. Try www.hotelres.com for a great selection of hotel properties

JOHN

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 02:07 PM
allen

Joe, $229 per night sounds about like their rack rate. Have you asked about AAA or other affiliation rates (airline, govt., etc.)? Agree it is a large, impersonal hotel, but conveniently located with decent rooms. Good luck.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 03:18 PM
Joe

I logged on to the Hilton web site to get the $229 rate. I plugged in my Hilton HHonors number, and my UA Mileage Plus numbers, and that was the lowest it would come up with. Would calling them directly get a better rate?

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 04:47 PM
Gail

Go with the Andrews , The Hotel Rex, The Hotel Beresford, the Beresford Arms ,the Chancellor ,even though it's on Powell st but ask for a back room. These are all very nice smaller hotels . The Hilton is a truely uninspiring convention tourist hotel. My favorite location in the city is not around Union Square unless there is some reason you have to stay there. The Washinton Square Inn in North Beach is as great a location in SF as you are going to find if that is a consideration and option for you.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 08:06 AM
Joe

Just a follow-up...
I did end up staying at the Hilton. It was a clean, efficient, and in a great location. Both check-in and check-out combined took less than 60 seconds! Everything worked, and the room was spotless, and had a nice view towards Twin Peaks. The constant line of waiting cabs out front also made life easier. The pool area is very nice, and sheltered on all four sides so it was warmer than the rest of the city.

I was not impressed with the overall look of the place - very generic and un-interesting to look at. The food in the cafe restaurant was sub-par, and seriously over-priced.

If you want convenience, an efficient staff, and a good location I would recommend this hotel. If you want a romantic weekend getaway in a memorable hotel, look elsewhere.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 08:44 AM
Jan

Thanks for the follow up info joe.
I wish more people would take the time to do this. Helps keep everyone else up to date with current info.
Glad it worked out well for you!

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 10:17 AM
allen

Thanks for the report. My family and I will be staying there overnight in September so the insight on your recent visit is helpful. Being that San Francisco is such a great restaurant city, I don't think we will bother with the Hilton food service.