Hilton Head Island Beaches

Jun 24th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Hilton Head Island Beaches

I am staying in Savannah, and want to make day trip to one of the beaches in Hilton Head Island with kids. Which one would be a nice public beach to visit? I would like close parking, beach rental services, and some restaurants nearby. Somebody says that, if you pay $5 to enter Sea Pines, you can use the beach and its amenities. Is it true? What are the other options? Your answer will be greatly appreciated.
Jun 24th, 2007, 04:58 PM

Sea Pines has two beach access. At the Sea Pines Beach Club, rentals are a very casual restaurant are available. At the South Beach, only parking and restrooms. Enter Sea Pines from the Forrest Beach gate (take the Cross Island Tollway. Go straight across the first traffic circle. At the second trafic circle, turn right on Forrest Beach, the gate is about a half mile straight ahead. You might call Sea Pines and confirm that you can use the beach club with a gate pass. I know they check cars at the parking lot. I don't know if you have to be a resident to use the club, or just have a car pass.

The other option is the public beach by Coligny Plaza. Same directions as above, except look for parking straight across from the second traffic circle. Restrooms, showers, and rentals are at the entrance to the beach. Coligny Plaza (shopping center catercorner from beach entrance) has several restaurants to choose from.
Jun 25th, 2007, 05:27 AM
DRJ

The town has created a couple of new public beaches recently. Visit the information center on 278 a mile or so over the bridge (on your right). I assume that they will have maps.
Jun 25th, 2007, 05:50 AM

Check out this site;

http://www.melonbluff.com/index.htm

It's Palmyra Plantation at Melon Bluff. It was a rice plantation.It's a short ride south of Savannah. It was a rice plantation. Which reminds me, there is an area just north of the Savannah River on the old HWY 17 that is now a wild life preserve. It was also a rice plantation. In a lot of the Savannah area, rice did better than cotton.

When Sherman destroyed the homes, the rice plantations reverted to swampy lowlands and the cotton plantations went back to forests. Even though Savannah was not burnt, a lot of the income for the people became non-existant.
Jun 25th, 2007, 05:51 AM

OOPS wrong thread!! Duh.
Jun 25th, 2007, 06:17 AM

South Forest Beach (at Coligney Circle) is your best bet, though expect it to be very crowded, especially on weekends. If your kids are older and like interacting with other teens, this is the place for them. Lots of restaurants nearby.

If you're just wanting to get out to a beach, Tybee is much closer to Savannah and has the same quality of beach. It's commercially a little more downscale, but it does have its charm and there are plenty of restaurant options.