Search

Hilton Head Island

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hilton Head Island

Hi Everyone,
My husband and I will be staying on Hilton Head Island Oct. 19 and 20 for 2 nights. Any suggestions for where we should stay? I assume there will be plenty available since it is really "off season".
We would like to be on the beach but are afraid those hotels will be quite pricey.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. From there we will spend a night in Ashville and then to the Smoky Mountains for the fall colors. Al;so any opinions on condo in the Gatlinburg area? We are seniors and not interested in the "Honky-Tonk" stuff.
Thanks much,
Nannibray
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 05:24 AM
GoTravel

nannibray, it isn't off season, it is peak golf season.

My favorite hotel is The Main Street Inn.

Old Oct 4th, 2006, 08:21 AM

Actually the condos that I often rent in HHI begin their cheapest season on 10/21.I would suggest that you check the Sea Pines website for special rates at the Inn at Harbortown. They often list special rates in the $129 range.It's not on the beach but is very near a beautiful harbor and Sound.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 09:36 AM

Any reason for Hilton Head? Further up the coast are some beautiful beaches with more to do.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - I'll check out the Main Street Inn and also Inn at Harbortown. Any opinions on staying in Palmetto Dunes?? Or would that be ultra expensive? I am assuming the water will be chilly but still beautiful for walking the beach.
Another question - Why Hilton Head?? Well because we have friends who have gone there for 15 years and love it and we are mostly just curious to see Hilton Head. They stay with someone who owns a home in Sea Pines but it is not at all on the water. They suggest being on the beach.

Also has anyone stayed at the Hampton Inn - 1 mile to beach or at the Beachwalk Hotel and Condo - 3 blocks from the beach. These two have appealing rates. Thanks again.
Nannibray
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 08:09 PM

I just came back from a week at Hilton Head. We stayed in a condo in Sea Pines, which was very nice. Hilton Head is great if you're into golf or tennis.

We rented bikes for the week from Pedals. The rates were great ($18 for the week, I think) with free delivery and pick-up. We were very pleased with them and enjoyed biking quite a bit.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 05:19 AM

Haven't stayed at the Beachwalk Hotel, but know where it is. The 3 blocks to the beach is about right, but will put you on the busiest public beach. This may not be a problem/issue in Oct. Just know that this location is rather busy with people and traffic.

The best thing about the location is that you are very close to some of the island's best restaurants. The Sage Room and Flavors of the World are almost right next door and Michael Antony's, Antonio's, Redfish and Marley's are about a 2 minute drive.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 05:23 AM

Oh, and Pedal's is the best place to rent bikes, and is right next door to Beachwalk. Long rides on the beach are a lot of fun. Be sure to ride north to view the huge (to some, monsterous - think French Chateau and Italian Villa) ocean front homes.

I think xrae and I were there the same week.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 05:38 AM

We go to HH for our family vaca every summer and rent a house in Palmetto Dunes. We like staying in this area so much we don't even consider other parts of the island (in fact we've rented 3 different houses, all on the same street!). We rent through www.islandgetaway.com - they have condos/villas too and seem to usually have pretty good last minute rates.

We love HH. Every has their own likes and dislikes, but it is a great place to relax and enjoy ocean and good company. Good food too.

I've been to Gatlinburg once (we rented a cabin but weren't happy w/the company we went through). It is honky tonk but you just kind of have to embrace it. I thought the aquarium there was very good (even compared to some of the big name well known aquariums). Have a great trip!
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 06:14 AM
GoTravel

The weather should be warm to hot and maybe down in the mid sixties at night. The ocean temp is still 75 degrees and the daytime high will rise above that.

Old Oct 6th, 2006, 04:47 PM

Palmetto Dunes has a Marriott a short walk from the beach. The beaches will not be crowded during October. Staying at any of the Forrest Beach hotels or condos will be close to the beach and Coligny Plaza, a shopping center with several restaurants and tourist shops. You'll enjoy HH.