Hilton Head Honeymoon?

Search

Hilton Head Honeymoon?

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hilton Head Honeymoon?

My fiance and I have changed our honeymoon plans at least 5 times. First it was Mexico, then it was the Bahamas, then it was California, then it was Vegas, then it was Mexico again. We were originally planning on spending $2000 including airfare and food.

My mother and stepdad own a very pretty villa in Hilton Head, SC. It is also only 50 feet from a beautiful outdoor pool and jacuzzi/hot tub. If we stay at their villa - we will have $2000 to spend on airfare, food, rental car, and entertainment. We will not have to pay for lodging at all.

I'm actually visiting Hilton Head right now. Today was my first day here, so I don't really know too much about the area... what are some things we could do on our honeymoon here? What's romantic? Any suggestions? As far as food choices, we are both vegetarian.

Help! I would love to hear from anyone who has been to Hilton Head for their honeymoon!
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

I also want to add that we are in our early 20's and are not into golfing, however, we think the island is beautiful from what we've seen so far.
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:52 PM

Hi Danijake,

My husband and I were there for four days and loved it. It was very beautiful and very relaxing.

Perhaps others will be able to comment more on activities right in the area, but I did want to say that we took a day trip to Savannah and LOVED it. It was rich in history and quite lovely. We just walked and walked, and would love to go back for a longer period of time someday.

Again, we really did love Hilton Head, but all we really did there was relax, enjoy the beach, read, etc. so I am not going to be much help in the area of activities.

It was very quiet, so I am not sure if that would be to your liking or not. For us it was heaven.

Congrats, and best wishes, T.
Old May 20th, 2005, 03:36 AM

For "free" you can't go wrong. You will find PLENTY to do!! I think you would have been hard pressed to do anything else on your budget.
Old May 20th, 2005, 03:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Dining choices are good. You can rent bikes. I believe there are bike paths everywhere on the island. (We didn't bike).The ocean temps are warm here. We went in June and the water was like a bath tub!
I agree that for free, you will be able to dine out more and enjoy yourselves. Go for it!
Old May 20th, 2005, 04:22 AM

Your post brings back great memories. My wife & I spent our honeymoon 20 years ago at Hilton Head! It has grown up a bit since then, but I think it would still be a great place to honeymoon.

There are great bike paths in Sea Pines; and there are also trails, canals, etc. in several of the other *plantations,* such as Palmetto Dunes. One newer restaurant that is probably vegetarian friendly is Red Fish.

I agree about a day trip into Savannah; that's a neat city, especially the waterfront.
Old May 20th, 2005, 06:39 AM

We got to Hilton Head every summer w/our young children, but I've done so much research on restaurants I'll offer up some suggestions. For high end dining, I've heard Sea Grass Grill and Charlie le Etoile Verte are the best. We really like RedFish which was very nice but slightly more casual and okay w/our kids. Other places we enjoy are Neno Il Toscano, Old Oyster Factory, Alexander's, Crazy Crab (near the island entrance rather than in Sea Pines), and Marley's Isalnd Grille. Kenny B's New Orleans Cafe is a great casual fun spot - good for carryout or a super laid back Sunday brunch.

A day trip to Savannah is great - we liked Old Town Trolley rides (you could get on and off), touring historic homes, and good food at Mrs Wilkes.

On Hilton Head, you could do a trip to Daufskie Island (there is a company that does daily boat tours - can't remember the name) as well. We prefer Shelter Cove to Sea Pines but I know both are popular. There is a great little shop in Shelter Cove that showcases local artists work at very reasonable prices.

Have a great time!!