HIlton Head, Harbor Island or Tybee Island

Aug 2nd, 2010, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

HIlton Head, Harbor Island or Tybee Island

We plan to spend the month of January 2011 on the east coast with a few trips inland to Greenville, SC to see our new grandchild. We've been to Tybee & Harbor Island, but not Hilton Head. Which place would be best for spending the month. Or does anyone have any other suggestions that are near the ocean. I realize that January is not exactly the warmest time of the year but it sure is warmer than up here in the north! Thank you.
Aug 2nd, 2010, 11:48 AM
nlg

We have been going to Hilton Head in January or November for several years and we have always had a good time. We have already made our reservations to go back this coming January.
We love to ride bikes, walk on the beach and eat at the many restaurants. Mostly the temps have been in high 50s-low 60.
Aug 2nd, 2010, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the encouragement about the weather. As I said, it's bound to be warmer than up here in Canada. Any recommendations about where to stay. We use VRBO a lot but don't know which area on HH is the best. We do not golf nor play tennis. Thanks
Aug 3rd, 2010, 02:33 AM

I would opt for Beaufort but as you've been to Harbor, you are familiar with it. I'd also consider Charleston's Sullivan's Island, Isle of Palms, and Wild Dunes as well as the historic district. I am sure you could find something there. May give you more to do over the period of a month. 1 1/2 hours closer to Greenville as well.
Aug 3rd, 2010, 02:52 AM

Weber's suggestion of the Charleston based beaches is good. It means you would have all of Charleston as well as the beach to entertain you which is good since the beach may be cold some of the time. Sullivan's Island specializes in long term rentals.
Aug 3rd, 2010, 05:30 AM

I agree. Kiawah and Seabrook are not mentioned but they are wonderful as well. Just a little farther out than IOP or Sullivans.
Aug 3rd, 2010, 01:37 PM
nlg

We have stayed in the Shipyard and Sea Pines areas of Hilton Head and loved both of them. They both have great bike paths.
We have also stayed at Wild Dunes near Charleston-guess it just depends on what you want.
Aug 3rd, 2010, 01:44 PM

Almost anywhere but HH. And especially for a month. I'd go closer to Charleston so you would have some other activities to do. We were at Litchfield/Pawley's for a week this past January and teh temps were 20* the whole week!! The herons were standing on the ice in teh lagoon eating their fish!!! Anything is possible!! That was truly unusual.
Aug 3rd, 2010, 02:18 PM
nlg

We have stayed two weeks at Hilton Head and found plenty to do. As I said, I guess it just depends on what you want, but I don't think you would be bored in Hilton Head if you like riding bikes, walking on the beach and eating at nice restaurants.
Aug 13th, 2010, 12:32 PM

Your choices are very different from each other. Hilton Head is the largest of the three, and as such, has more to do and many more restaurants. I would stay on Hilton Head and take a day trip to Beaufort/Harbor Island.