Reload this Page >

Hilton Airport-What's it like?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Debbie

Would like any input from travelers who've stayed at the Hilton at O'Hare. Good quality?
We've heard it has underground tunnels to the airport. Any info appreciated.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Racy

The Hilton is between terminals 2 and 3 (I believe) and is connected through the same walkway that leads to the parking garages and the CTA. It's pretty much IN the airport.

I was at a meeting there a number (7) of years ago and heard that the rooms had recently been redone, but I don't know what updating has been done since.

I also don't know what the parking situation is, if that's an issue -- many hotels in that area have free parking while you're on vacation. I'm thinking this one doesn't.

HTH,
Racy

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 12:46 PM
deb

Thanks, Racy. We're only staying overnight for a wedding in Aurora. Then heading out early Sun. morning for Oahu. We'd gotten it on Hotwire for $50.-they listed it as a 4 star. Hope it is.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Racy

Oahu certainly beats Aurora...

It's definately more of the business-type hotel than a tourist one, but the food served at our meeting was better than I expected.

You cannot BEAT it for convenience.

Racy

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 01:30 PM
kkj

It is connected to the airport -- you could even say it is in the airport. I can't imagine what about it warrants four stars. It's claim to fame is that you can walk to the airport. Other than that, I can't imagine wanting to stay there.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 04:48 PM
xxx

kkj - well THAT was a really rotten thing to say to someone who has reservations there!

Debbie, here is the link to the citysearch.com review to the hotel: http://chicago.citysearch.com/profile/3741454/ Personally I think anytime I can stay at a clean hotel, relax and not have to make my own bed is a nice break - ENJOY!

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 06:11 PM
Mark

I've stayed there.
It's serviceable. Nothing special. nothing bad about it.

To "xxx": think about it for a second. An airport hotel is not anyone's idea of a great getaway. The hotel knows that 98% of guests are staying there for convenience, not because of the pool or the room decor or the restaurant.
So they don't have to make that special to make money. And they don't.
As for the "four star" designation, that's a bunch of bull. Hotels and rating sites toss those stars around like they're confetti.
Is the Airport Hilton (a 4 star hotel) just a notch below the Four Seasons in Maui--an actual 5 star hotel? Hardly.

But for the $50 price, Debbie, you got a fine deal and I'll bet you'll be pleased with your stay.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 06:34 PM
Kate

Mark, Debbie stated that they were staying there for convenience, I think what "XXX" was getting at is that there was no reason for kkj to be such a "downer" - she just wanted info, not someone asking why she wanted to stay there (which, btw, she explained in her post) She didn't pick this as a destination-getaway weekend, had to be close to the airport and wondered how this was. I agree, it's not what we think of when we think 4*, but she can still enjoy a hotel that is clean & comfortable while being close for that early flight.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 07:30 PM
jo

I've never stayed there but spent an early a.m. morning there this summer. Comfortable, clientele looked business like, very convenient, be silly to stay anywhere else.