Hilo Zoo/Pana'ewa Rainforest Zoo

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to decide if this little zoo will be worth seeing on a "travel" day. We will be checking out of our Volcano B&B and I would like to snorkel the Kipoho tidepools, see Lava Trees, eat in Hilo and see a bit, see Akaka Falls, Waipio overlook, then get to Kohala by late afternoon.

I know this is a lot to do in a day, but this will be our only day to see a bit of Puna and the Hamakua coast. Husband and I have been to BI before and will be back, but we'll have grown daughter and boyfriend along and we'd like to give them a good sightsee on this trip.
Old May 24th, 2007, 02:04 PM

I think you will have a full day without the Hilo zoo. Though you can do the zoo pretty easily in two hours or less. I personally wouldn't go to the zoo without children 12 or younger.
Old May 24th, 2007, 06:22 PM

it is a nice zoo, not a lot of animals but the landscaping is beautiful, and we have Namaste a white tiger. If you have the time, do it if not don't worry. you could see it all in a little over 30 minutes to an hour. I don't have kids 12 or younger and I go there quite often just for the peacefulness of the grounds (and to see Namste)
Old May 25th, 2007, 05:36 AM

Snorkeling the Kapoho Tidepools is better at high tide, usually. So you might want to check what those times will be on the day you go there.
Old May 28th, 2007, 11:10 AM

The Zoo is free so you can spend 1/2 hour or 2 hours. Namaste is a goodlooking white Bengal, and peacocks roam freely on the grounds although there was one in a tree that almost pooped on my head!

If your DD likes floral more than animals, then head to the Botanical Gardens north of Hilo before Akaka Falls, it is an amazing site.