Hillsville near BRP?

Search

Hillsville near BRP?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2006, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hillsville near BRP?

we're planning a trip from New England to the Smoky Mountains, planning to pick up the Blue Ridge Parkway around Roanoke - Hillsville looks to be our best bet for a place to stay one night, but are there any restaurants around? Or is there a better place to stay not too far off the Parkway? Any idea how long a drive it would be from Roanoke to Hillsville area taking the BRP? Thanks in advance for any advice or help.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 05:41 PM

When are you going? There was a rock slide on the pkwy south of Roanoke...I think near the NC border. That section of the pkwy is scheduled to be closed for repair until sometime in September. Thought you would want to know.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 09:39 AM

Consider taking Route 221 south from Roanoke to Hillsville. It winds through some beautiful countryside and the interesting town of Floyd. It takes about an hour and a half
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

We aren't going until October, but thanks for the info on the rock slide, I would never have known to check for something like that. Hopefully it will be repaired by the time we leave. But I'm also intrigued by the 221 suggestion and will check that out too!! Thanks so much!
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 07:16 PM

I agree with Carla. Route 221 is a very pretty drive. Ditto her thumbs up for Floyd. Sorry, I can't help with food and lodgings.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 10:37 PM

Isn't Chateau Morisette in Floyd? You could eat lunch there, I think. What about the Mabry Mill on the BRP for buckwheat pancakes? Last time we were in Hillsville, we stayed at a motel on 221 (or 58?)- nothing to write home about but my in-laws wanted to stay there as it was close to a friend's. There are some cabins in Fancy Gap that looked nice and I think there are some cabins on the BRP in Orchard Gap. I don't if the chalets at Ground Hog Mountain (on the BRP) are still available - there is (was?) a restaurant there - the oe Run Lodge.

We used to spend a lot of time in that area, but haven't been there in about 3 years.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 07:57 AM

The Pine Tavern in Floyd is a good place to eat. Also, Harvest Moon(?)cafe. Pine Tavern is country-type food, fried chicken, etc. The Moon place -- and I'm sorry I don't remember the name -- is affiliated with a gallery and a health food store. There is also the Blue Ridge Cafe on the square in front of the court house. Good breakfast. Floyd is definitely a study in contrasts. It is a community of artists, ex-hippies and farmers who have lived in the county for generations.