Hiking the Grand Canyon with kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are interested in hiking from the south rim of the canyon down to the river and back during mid-March in about 2 years. Our youngest child will be 12 years old by then. I am seeking any advice, tips or recommendations (with respect to hiking with kids) to help in my planning. Thanks!
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 07:21 PM

I'm thinking that would be too much for most kids, even if you take more than a day each way. Talk to their pediatrician about how much to expect of them, and how much weight they can carry without damaging their growing bodies. I'm thinking that the hike might be out because they couldn't carry enough water (8 pounds per gallon). You might want to read a couple of books on hiking with kids and hikes in the Grand Canyon, as well as the excellent book "Death in the Grand Canyon"; it does an very good job of explaining hazards and ways to avoid them. I'd also plan on taking the kids on some long hikes the year before, including hikes with serious elevation gain. I'm betting that there's some good information on the park's web site. Check out www.nps.gov.

To give you an idea of scale, when he was 10 years old, my son was able to do day hikes of up to 13 miles and about 3000 feet elevation gain. We live at 7500 feet. You'll have about 5000 feet of gain on the GC hike, ending at around 7000 feet. Last year, with a backpack, my son (then 11) had difficulty with 8 to 9 mile hikes.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 09:59 AM

We hiked from the south rim with a 13 and 10 year old in August 1983. Hiked down South Kaibab, spent the night at Phantom Ranch, and hiked up Bright Angel trail the next day (mom and dad were 44 at the time). My husband carried the 10 year old's water supply.
March should be a lot cooler, but you still need LOTS of water. Kaibab has almost no shade and no water, but Bright Angel had water at three different spots. The "kids" still speak glowingly of the experience. Unless you're all in incredible shape, I wouldn't recommend doing it in one day.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 06:07 PM

When we were at Couth Rim this past summer there are all sorts of warnings, signs, etc stating that one should not attempt to hike down and back in one day, regardless of conditioning, preparation, etc.

Since I have not done it, I would still only imagine how wonderful it must be to hike all the way to bottom and back - but if an overnight stay is not possible, there are several stops along the way of Bight Angel trail, some with water, that would give your family some of the experience.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I'm sorry I didn't make myself more clear. We would hike down to the river, camp overnight. Hike up to Indian gardens the next day and set up camp there. The following morning, we would hike back up to the rim. Also, how are the trails with respect to ice or snow at this time of year?
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 07:22 AM

I assume you are saying March 2006. If you are staying at Phantom Ranch, you better try to make reservatons ASAP. March 06 reservations opened up this past March (04). At that time, the first opening was December 05!

To camp, you are going to have to carry heavy packs. My sister has done it both ways and says the condition you need to be in is completely different for carrying a load.

Be ready when calling to make reservations for meals at Phantom Ranch. Their choices are steak, stew or vegetarian plate for dinner. They also do breakfast and a box lunch for your trip up. Be ready--the meals are expensive but I think that will be part of my reward!! I'm definitely having steak!

You also need to make res. for staying on the rim for before and after. You can do all that with the same person.