Search

hiking boots vs sneakers in kauai?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:30 AM
ncl
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hiking boots vs sneakers in kauai?

Boyfriend & I are going to kauai next week and i'm wondering if I can pack my old running sneakers to do hikes (BF's not a serious hiker, so i can't imagine doing any 'big' hikes). I do have hiking boots, but they take up so much suitcase space. Can anyone tell me if there is something about the footing/ground/etc in Kauai that might make sturdier hiking boots a necessity?
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:38 AM

Depends on where you are hiking. If it rains, the awesome Napali coast trail can get muddy and slippery, and on a previous visit I recall seeing a foreign tourist on the beginning of the Napali coast wearing dress shoes and having quite a soiled backside to show for it. I think you need an aggressive, deep tread on your footwear and running shoes might not do well if it rains, personally regret not taking a hiking pole or two on the Napali coast trail.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 09:24 AM

Sneakers are fine. We just did the Kalalau Trail up to the waterfall on the Napali Coast in September and it was raining on and off and muddy and slippery. I had on a pair of those tieless Skechers gym shoes and they worked fine. Actually, the older the sneaker the better since they get stained with the mud. Agree with the previous poster about a walking stick. My husband and I both found big dead branches to use.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 09:59 AM

We travel to Kauai annually and do a good bit of hiking. As another poster said, so much depends on the condition of the trails and which trails you choose to do. Some are an easy "walk in the park" type trail and some are very strenuous up in Kokee as well as the Kalalau especially if you hike past the 2 mile marker. I have to say that I have never regretted having my hiking shoes; I feel much more secure on some of the steep trails and even more so when they are wet. Also, we have been hiking many times starting on a clear sunny day only having it rain part way through so we carry lightweight, disposable rain parkas and just last year purchased hiking poles. My hiking shoes don't take up a whole lot more room than my running shoes so, again, it depends on the type that you purchase. Just a word of caution - know the trail you are planning to hike and check with the rangers at the information desk at Kokee before doing any of the trails in Waimea so that you are knowledgeable of the conditions. A few years ago, we hiked a trail called Ditch trail that was rated strenous only to find out that part of the trail was washed away and had not been maintained. It got a little hairy as we continued the hike and we swore we would not return the way we came when we saw how we had crossed the canyon on the washed out trail - really a stupid move, but we didn't want to turn back. Enjoy the beauty of the scenery; it's incredible. Kauai is a wonderful place to hike.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 03:15 PM

In November my husband and I were in Kauai. We hiked the first two miles of
the Kalalau Trail and I was happy that I had wore my hiking boots. It was very muddy and slippery and I was glad for the extra support the boots gave my ankles. They also helped with traction
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 03:16 PM

In November my husband and I were in Kauai. We hiked the first two miles of
the Kalalau Trail and I was happy that I had wore my hiking boots. It was very muddy and slippery and I was glad for the extra support the boots gave my ankles. They also helped with traction.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 04:08 PM
gyppielou

Hiking boots/shoes!!! GL

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 05:45 PM

When we were there we both bought a new pair of Teva sandals (the ones that velcro on) for hiking. That is what I would suggest for you too.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 06:20 PM
gyppielou

with all due respect, I have witnessed people on various Kauai trails, and unless you like gooey mud between your toes, that is what you might get with Teva's....of course depends on your timing, but in winter you are apt to hit some pretty muddy trails. I again personally prefer hiking boots. Better a prepared hiker....

Old Jan 20th, 2004, 07:40 AM
ncl
Original Poster

Thanks for all your responses. I ended up going with my hiking boots and was very glad I did. I didn't slip a single time but my boyfriend seems to have red mud on the backside of most of his hiking shorts (he wore old sneakers). In addition, one day I wore tevas for a hike and ended up cutting my ankles on the sharp lava rocks and things. So I was thrilled to have my boots! For those future hikers - my boyfriend wore old sneakers because he didn't want to get his newer ones stained w/ red dirt, however that meant that he had no tread and no grip on any even mildly wet dirt. On our last few hikes he went w/ his sandals only because then at least he wasn't sliding everywhere.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 08:24 AM
iceeu2

So ncl....I can't find your trip report! Bring it to the top please..We just ordered new hiking boots last night cause I don't like the ones I have!

Old Jan 20th, 2004, 09:10 AM

Make sure what you wear is old and you won't mind getting them stained or muddy. I saw sveral people starting the trail as we were finishing wearing bright white new Keds and our feet were covered in mud!