Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hike, mountain bike & canoe trips from Seattle?

Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I'm a 29 year-old female and will be spending 2 weeks in Seattle. I'm going solo and would like to take wilderness hikes, go mountain biking and canoeing with a group. I obviously don't want to do these activities solo. Any businesses offering these activities so I can go with a group? Please advise and thank you. Heather
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:37 AM

There is a group called The Mountaineers that is great. They have a lot of outings, but you must be a member. However...you can sign up as a guest and do two non-technical outings (like hiking) with them. They have been around for many years and their outings are fun and always focus on safety. We have been members for several years and have always been very pleased with them. Their website is www.mountaineers.org.

Two other places to look for people to hike with are www.backpacker.com and go to the community boards. There is one for the PNW and you will see people getting together for outings. Also www.nwhikers.net has the same type of message boards. These last two suggestions are not businesses though...just individuals who love to hike.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, mms; I will look up their website and make plans. Thanks! Heather
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 06:14 PM

I forgot to mention that the Mountaineers has local branches all over the Seattle area...we are affiliated with the Everett branch. Each branch organizes their own hikes/climbs/scrambles/etc. So when you are looking keep that in mind for fitting it in with your schedule. The Everett branch really is great.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 03:22 PM
ALF

The Mountaineers are a great source. Another choice is outings run by the Sierra Club, Cascade Chapter (http://www.cascade.sierraclub.org/ac...es_outings.asp).

For canoe/kayak tours, check out NW Outdoor Center (www.nwoc.com/)