3 generations in Seattle area

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

66-yr old couple--avid travelers--taking son and d-i-l and one-year old baby on week to Seattle area. I've read through posts here and am trying to sort out what things we most want to do.So many choices--leaning to ferry to San Juan islands (maybe one night there or at Port Townsend?)See the rain forest--do you have to do lengthy hikes to see it? Other suggestions for this diverse group?

Main question is hotels. Definitely need to keep the price DOWN.
We may stay in one place for the week and take day trips, or we may hit the road for two or three days, and spend the rest at a "home base". Looks from previous posts that Lake Union area might be best bet for family? We will have rental van.

I'll post another question about Price Line and suite-hotels.

Vera
Old May 14th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

topping
Old May 14th, 2005, 10:11 PM

You don't need to take a hike to see the rain forest (or any of a number of Olympic NP sites, like Hurricane Ridge)-like most National Parks, they have short paved nature trails. I'd get out of the city at least for a couple days and go to Olympic or the San Juans-there are some nice day trips from Seattle (Rainier is easily doable in a day), but those places are worth the extra time they'll take.

Growing up, for years three generations of my family vacationed together on Orcas Island. My grandmother loved just relaxing on the beach while my parents and I did more strenuous activities, so it worked well for everyone.
Old May 15th, 2005, 08:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm sitting here in Seattle, but unfortunately can only answer very few of your questions! As Christy already clarified, you do not need to hike to see rainforests. There's lovely planked walkways in the parks.

If sight-seeing in the city of Seattle is not high on your list of interests and you want to keep hotel costs down, maybe staying somewhere outside Seattle proper would work better for you?
Old May 16th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. We do want to do SOME things in the city--the Market, a ball game and perhaps my son will want to do the Space Needle and the Underground tour. I've been there done that.
I'm relieved to learn we can enjoy the rain forest without long hikes, San Juan islands hotels are mostly pretty expensive. Would a 2 or 3 day stay on the O.P. make sense? Is the Atlantic coast a good place for beach walking and tidepooling? If we stay outside Seattle proper, what areas should I be looking at?
Day trips may be the most sensible way to go, although the Cascades loop drive is very tempting.
Thanks again as I muddle through all the possibilities.
Old May 16th, 2005, 03:04 PM

There are several motels between downtown and Denny Avenue that are within walking distance of downtown and that may have more reasonable rates and free parking. There is also a fairly new Holiday Inn Express a little farther on.

But it seems to me that with the children you would be much happier in a "suite" motel such as SpringHill Suites by Marriott or Summerfield Suites by Wyndham. The Silver Cloud on Broadway is a pretty good location and it sometimes has better rates that the Lake Union location.

Three nice short hikes on in ONP are the Hall of Mosses in the Hoh Rain Forest, the walk to Marymere Falls from Crescent Lake Lodge, and the walk along Ruby Beach--which has some interesting monoliths (and tide pools if at certain times).

The North Cascade Loop might be too long a drive with a little baby on board, but it is beautiful. You could overnight in Winthrop and return via Route 2 through the "Bavarian" town of Leavenworth and Stevens Pass.

A less taxing day trip would be to drive north on I-5 to the town of Conway and then through the Skagit Valley to La Conner (a delightful place). From there to Deception Pass and Whidbey Island which has several parks and the charming towns of Coupeville and Langley. The ferry to the mainland docks at Mukilteo--about 30 miles north of Seattle.

The ferry to Bainbridge Island runs frequently and affords great views of the Seattle skyline and, if it is clear, the Olympic Mountains, Mt. Rainier, and Mt. Baker.

We also have the excellent Woodlawn Park Zoo.

Half price tickets for harbor cruises (including the one that goes through the locks) are usually available at the ticket office at the main entrance to the Pike Place Market at 1st Avenue and Pike.

Old May 17th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Terrific suggestions, Happy Trails. Thanks a heap.
Vera
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:43 PM

I hope you have a great time on your trip and that you give us a report when you return home.