Reload this Page >

Highway 1 north of Monterey

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 07:55 PM
Linda

Is there any reason to take Highway 1 all the way to San Francisco or is most of the scenic part south of Monterey?

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 08:42 PM
Sandra

depends on how much time you want to spend to get to SF. Hwy 1 is going to be a nice lazy drive with lights in small towns. 101 in not quite an interstate and you get to go thru Gilroy, the garlic capital of america. If its a one time trip and you can spend a couple extra hours, I think you will be rewarded by taking 1 all the way up. The stretch from half mooom bay into Sf is particularly nice. Just me 2 cents

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 09:24 PM
janis

Except for Big Sur there is actually more "scenery" on hwy 1 north of Monterey than south of it. There is the vast sweep of the bay - then above Santa Cruz is beautiful, and the San Mateo coast including light houses and half moon bay. 101 is faster - but 1 is definitely prettier. Plus you avoid the worst of the south SF bay traffic 101/880/280 are madness for about 3 hours each morning and afternoon.

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 05:20 AM
linda

Thanks for the info! One more thing please. Is the northern part of 1 near San francisco, congested? What is the best way to enter the city from route 1?

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 08:20 AM
scurry

It shouldn't be bad traffic-wise -- although it is not a direct route.

Depending on where you are staying in SF, I strongly advise taking 1 to 280 & taking 280 ALL the way into SF. The view of the city coming in on 280 is great. Do this unless you are going to be arriving at the same time as a SF Giants game.

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 06:50 PM
hobojo

Hi Linda,

I just came back from this same trip this past Tues. I say definitely take the route one way. It is so interesting to see cattle grazing and crops growing right next to the ocean! There are tons of wildflowers growing all over the sides of the road. You also really get a chance to see the actual beach close up on this route because you are not as high up in the mountains as you are when you are in Big Sur. Stop at the Pigeon Point Lighthouse on your way up. You can see lots of sealions and seals right from the shore. It is a beautiful, wild place. You will not be sorry for taking this gorgeous stretch of highway!