Highway 1 & 101 in December??

Nov 28th, 2001, 01:02 PM
Joyce

Highway 1 & 101 in December??

My husband and I will be completing the last leg of our x-country trip (NYC-SF) by driving up the coast from LA to San Francisco. We are using our last two days for the drive. Since it will be our last night of our journey, we would like to spend it at a memorable place. Where, along the coast, do you recommend? Do you know of any moderate lodging places? Our pockets may nearly be empty at that time...Also, how are the driving conditions and weather around this time?

Nov 28th, 2001, 01:18 PM
c

Joyce - Just a warning, but Hwy 1 often washes out every year between Cambria and Big Sur. So be sure to call and check with Cal Trans before starting your drive. I don't know how the patch of road held up in last week's storm. I know that San Luis Obispo County got hit pretty hard and there's more rain expected by tomorrow.

Nov 28th, 2001, 02:40 PM
native

Joyce,

You might want to repost your question with California in the heading.

There are many Highway 1s in the United States. People not familiar with Califonia (or the highway system other than I-5) would have no idea of what you are talking about. While they may not be able to give you advice, the answers would be beneficial should they try the same trip, or have an interest in the general area.

native

Nov 28th, 2001, 02:55 PM
Grasshopper

Sandy, I bet it's been an interesting trip! If you are taking Highway 1 consider stopping somewhere like San Luis Obispo (Morro Bay on the coast) or Cambria and visiting Hearst Castle. If you are taking 101 I'd go all the way to Monterey before stopping. Memorable and moderate might not be compatable terms. Check out lodging for those towns and see what suits your budget. I believe the road problems don't usually happen until Feb. or March typically. Have a great trip!

Nov 28th, 2001, 02:55 PM
kam

Joyce, I would suggest that you stay at one of the many reasonably priced hotels on Moonstone Beach in Cambria. Some to search for are BW Fireside Inn, Mariner's Inn, Moonstone Inn, or farther north the Ragged Point Inn.Then you can make your decisions about the weather when you get there. If it's rainy and foggy, forget hwy 1 and cut back over to 101 on 46. Don't drive Big Sur in the rain--it's dangerous, often has mud slides, and you just won't see anything. From Cambria to SF via 101 to 85 to 280 is about 5 hours without going through Big Sur. To drive Big Sur and see a bit of Carmel --in good weather--add 4 hours. I'm waiting for a new roof so can tell you we've had 3 weeks of on again/ off again rain, some heavy at times and windy. This next week doesn't look much better. Our long range forcast was for a cold wet winter. Hope you get your drive in, and keep your eyes open for whales--it's getting toward that time of year. Good luck.

Nov 28th, 2001, 03:44 PM
Susan

Joyce, Kam is right, you don't want to drive Big Sur in a rain storm. But in December you are just as likely to have a stretch of sunny, clear days where the drive would be great, so play it by ear and keep you eye on the weather report. If traveling on hwy. 1 isn't adviseable you can still get to SF via 101. For memorable without breaking the bank I'd suggest the Madonna Inn, and don't miss Hearst Castle on your way north.

Reading your message again I'm wondering if you are flying out of SFO and will be driving from mid-coast to the airport? Maybe it would be wiser to spend that night farther north, like Carmel or Monterey. What time is your flight?

Nov 29th, 2001, 10:14 AM
Joyce

Thanks everyone for all the great input!! My brother lives in Sunnyvale, so once we get into the Bay area, we will be staying with him for a few days and then fly back to NYC. What is the distance, in terms of hours from LA-Cambria-Sunnyvale? Also, is Ano Nuevo worth a stop?

Nov 29th, 2001, 01:23 PM
Dawn

Joyce,
Listen to Kam and Susan. They've always given me great advice!
;-)

Nov 29th, 2001, 08:20 PM
kam

Don't know where you're starting from in LA but from west LA to Cambria is one day for us. The next day is Cambria to Carmel/Monterey (if we go through Big Sur on Hwy 1). Monterey to Sunnyvale is about 1 1/2 hours if you can use the HOV lanes(depends on time of day)---from Monterey go over the 156 to 101 then as soon as you can exit 101 go to 85. From there, ask your brother, because you'll be very close to Sunnyvale. We live in Palo Alto so we stay on 85 to 280 to exit. Given what you've posted here, I think you should go from LA to Cambria and then check on the wheater for the next day. If it's good, drive Big Sur, if it's not cut back on 46 to 101 and come inland to SF. Have fun. HOpe Mother Nature cooperates.

Dec 5th, 2001, 09:50 PM
D

I wouldn't suggest driving along Hwy 1 if the storms are bad. Keep a lookout on the weather reports.

I'd stay in the Carmel/Monterey area. The Hilton in Monterey sucks, but there are a ton of b&bs and other places to stay.

If you do Hwy 101, check out the Madonna Inn, closer to the south. No, it's not named after the Material Girl. Each room has got a different theme and there are even postcards for each room.

Enjoy the drive.