Reload this Page >

Highlights in Chicago

Search

Highlights in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 1999, 03:46 AM
Robin Arbib

Highlights in Chicago

What are the highlights of Chicago for a family? Also any great or unusual restaurants for a family with a 19 year old son.

Old Jun 6th, 1999, 12:33 PM
Brian Kilgore

If the kid is a big eater and likes orast beef, Lawrey's Prime Rib is fancy and sophisticated, making it something special, and the beef is excellent, and in large portions.
BAK

Old Jun 6th, 1999, 05:49 PM
betsy

I know it's really touristy, but I had a great time at Navy Pier. There are amusement rides, cute shops and plenty of restaurants and great views of the city and the lake. We also got to be extras in an E.R. shoot that they were doing there that evening. We ate at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. (it's a chain, but it has pretty good food and a great atmosphere).

Old Jun 6th, 1999, 07:39 PM
jo

We like Berghoff's on Adams (near the Art Institute)-good food, reasonable prices. The waiters carry all the loaded plates on and up their arms - no trays. Lots to do, baseball games, museums, boat rides on the river and the lake, Nike Town. Michael Joordan's restaurant. Plays (Ragtime),etc.

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 05:52 AM
kristi

For family entertainment, I'd recommend the Lincoln Park Zoo, a Cubs or Sox game, Navy Pier, the Shedd Aquarium and a trip to the top of the Sears tower or John Hancock building. For dining, you might try Michael Jordan's, Ed Debevic's (a 50's themed burger joint with sassy waiters), or the Cheesecake Factory (in the John Hancock building)

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 11:18 AM
Paul Rabe

If your son is a typical 19-year old, he'd probably like some REAL pizza, not the "girly-man" type they sell at national chains :^) So check out Pizzeria Uno as well.

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 03:00 AM
Jay Frank

I'm not at all sure that there's such a thing as a "typical 19-year old", but I second Paul,s Pizzeria Uno (& Due) recommendation. Both are outstanding. Jordan's, on the other hand, is pretty bad. What kind of things does he like?

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 02:17 PM
bigthinkers

Perhaps no-one mentioned the Field Museum or Science and Industry because they are (gasp!) educational, and 19 year olds hate that, but we never miss a chance to go there when we pass through Chicago. If your son likes that sort of thing, Chicago's museums can't be beat!

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 02:24 PM
bigthinkers

Forgot to mention the Rainforest Cafe. You may have one in your area, as it is a chain, but if not, it really is a fun place. Decor is all "rainforest-y", with animated animals (Gorillas that look down at your plate, Elephants that trumpet now and then,) and a fake but fun thunderstorm rolls through every 15 minutes or so. Their portions tend to be huge, in our opinion, which is a plus with teen-aged sons.

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 07:25 PM
Shawn

Pizzeria Uno is also a chain now-there are restaurants all over the country. In fact, the only times I've eaten there were in Cambridge, MA and Ann Arbor, MI. I'd recommend Giordano's instead.

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 07:27 PM
Shawn

Wait-I take that back. I did eat at Uno's here in Chicago ONCE. Never again.

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 07:38 PM
Sandi

I second the motion for Rainforest Cafe. I really enjoyed this dining experience.

Also, Ed Debevics is fun.

Chicago is a favorite place of mine to visit. You can't possibly be bored there, ever! Most recently was there in December to do some Christmas shopping and to just enjoy the atmosphere of all the beautiful Christmas lights. It was 60-70 degrees! Walked along Lake Michigan at night with short sleeves in December. Most people cannot say that's an experience they've had.

Have a great trip.

Old Jun 18th, 1999, 07:29 AM
Cab

Don't forget Dave & Buster's. It's a bar, restaurant and video game place. The place is huge. If your son is anything like my 15 and 19 year olds, he'll spend the whole time playing the games in the large arcade room.