HIGH TEA at the Empress--Attire???

Jul 19th, 1997, 03:21 PM
S. Carroll

HIGH TEA at the Empress--Attire???

I will be traveling to Victoria next week and was invited to attend the High Tea at the Empress Hotel. What is the appropriate attire? Thanks.

Jul 19th, 1997, 05:06 PM
sharon

"high tea" in europe is a light supper and really sort of informal, but at big north american hotels it is an elegant affair. The dress code varies with city tradition but formal business attire would normally be called for. Your e mail address does not indicate gender but for a woman, a slightly more feminine dress or suit would be acceptable anywhere on earth. If it were me, I might go all out for the occassion and wear a dress and hat! I have met friends for tea in San F at the St. Francis and everyone was dressed up, no casual Friday attire.

Jul 28th, 1997, 09:26 PM
pamela

Had high tea at the Empress last year. Saw everything from jeans and T shirts, to suits and formal dresses. Also try the Death by Chocolate 'dessert tea' on weekends. Great!

Aug 3rd, 1997, 01:46 PM
Dennis Holland

Had tea at the Empress in 96. They required that men wear jackets and no jeans so maybe they have relaxed the code. Sorry but we found it overpriced and small portions. We left hungry after paying $22.Cdn. The atmosphere is nice. Have adrink in the bar instead. There are other places in Victoria that have high tea, ask a local.
Near where I live is a place called the Gift Shop at the Dam. They do a tea for $6. with fresh roasted turkey sandwiches, scones, a pot of tea of your choice each and much more including shortbread cookies. We wind up taking half of it home.
Dennis