Hidden cruise expenses..what they fail to tell you

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2003, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going on a carnival cruise from galveston to cozumel in January. It is a "free" trip excluding taxes. We don't drink or gamble, but we're still a LOT of fun! Is there a fee to disembark the ship? How much are the off board activities? Is there time? Any info would be very helpful...thanks
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 06:13 AM

You could try posting this on the cruise forum, but it's usually pretty dead. I would suggest going to cruisecritic.com or mytravelco.com and posting your questions there.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 07:20 AM
cd

nicolette
There is no fee to disembark. There are shore excusions which you can buy. They will be explained when you board your ship. Many people go to the net and find their own excusions usually for a better price. What I would recommend, and what we did, is once you dock at Cozumel you will be in a area where all the car rentals have booths. Go to one of them, rent a car for the day, go out their lot and turn right. About 10 min away is a wonderful lagoon called Channkanab (sp?) You can snorkel here (they rent the equipment, just take alcohol swabs to clean it first or just walk their wonderful grounds. It is beautiful and costs, I think, ten dollars to get in. Go to Google and check out their website. You can then continue to drive around the island, stopping along the way to walk the shoreline, etc..
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 07:58 AM

The advantage of paying the premium for the ship's shore excursions is that they'll delay the ship's departuture if one of their own excursions is arriving late. If I'm doing something simple, with several hours of wiggle room, I'll often do something on my own. If I think time might be tight, or I'm looking at a complicated itenerary, I pay for the ship's excursions.

The last time I took a cruise was about 5 years ago (roughly the same itenerary). At that time, the ship's price was nearly $100 for an all-day trip, more like $50 for a shorter excursion.

You'll be expected to pay quite a bit in tips for waitsaff and your room steward, all given at the end of the cruise. Check with the cruise line for recommendations, but I'm guessing that you're looking at about $70-100 per week for two.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 09:10 AM

Nicolette -

To the best of my recollection, I do not remember paying for any onboard activities, with the exception of gambling. Soft drinks, juices, alcoholic beverages and smoothies are also extra. Water (bottled excepted), tea, coffee (I think coffee but I don't drink it so not positive) are free. You can purchase a drink card that will allow you unlimited non-alcoholic beverages. Not sure of the price. You will also have to pay port charges but that may be included in your taxes or considered a part of your "free trip". It costs to purchase any of the pictures they took and any transfers you might need. Other than the excursions noted above by the previous poster, you should be set.