Hidden Cities Question

Jan 26th, 2001, 07:38 PM
OliveOyl

Hidden Cities Question

Son is trying to get to Tampa for Super Bowl as we have extra tickets at the last minute. Flight from Dallas to Tampa is in excess of $1,000 now. He has, however, made reservations for $340 rt, flying from Dallas to Ft. Myers, with a plane change in Tampa, before flying on to Ft. Myers.

If he gets off in Tampa and doesn't reboard for the Ft. Myers leg of the flight, we have heard that the return trip, Ft. Myers-Dallas, would be cancelled. (He will drive from here to Ft. Myers for the return trip).

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Is this in fact what happens and is there a way around it? Seems a shame to land in Tampa, change planes and fly to Ft Myers, then rent a car and drive right back here again!

Jan 26th, 2001, 07:41 PM
John

If the airline realizes he disembarked at Tampa, his credit card can be charged for the Dallas-Tampa one-way fare and his return cancelled. Also, if he had checked luggage it will have to go on to Ft Myers.

The safe thing to do is drive back from Ft Myers even if it seems silly.

Jan 26th, 2001, 07:43 PM
Maureen

OH, Puleeze!

Jan 26th, 2001, 07:54 PM
Patrick

I have a friend who has done this sort of thing several times. When he doesn't take the second leg of the flight, he calls the airline the next day to say he missed his connecting flight at the airport and to reconfirm his return. As you have already surmised, the trick is to start the return trip from the actual ticketed city, or you might not have the seat on the second leg of the return. I personally think that as long as airlines are deliberately gouging us with charging three times as much for a popular flight than for one that covers the same territory plus more, why not go for it?

Jan 26th, 2001, 08:00 PM
John

Airline rules and fares don't make sense most of the time, unfortunately. It's all a supply vs. demand game. While I want OliveOyl's son to enjoy Tampa Bay and the game, I don't want him to get hijacked by the airline AND miss flights. With computerized reservations the airlines are getting pretty good at catching such tricks. I still think he should just drive the Tampa-Ft Myers route and be happy he was able to save at least $660. Just my opinion, of course.

Jan 26th, 2001, 08:50 PM
Sal

I think it's a crap shoot this weekend. I'm flying OUT of Tampa tomorrow. When I called to confirm our reservations the airline told me to allow extra time for check in because of the chaos they're experiencing due to high volume. That could work for or against your son. They are being extra careful this weekend about their luggage and ticket checks. However, I'd imagine the delays caused by these extra precautions will cause some to legitimately miss flights. Personally, I wouldn't gamble. Flights out of Tampa after the game will be at a premium.

Jan 27th, 2001, 11:32 AM
OliveOyl

Thanks for your replies everyone, I do appreciate it. They decided not to chance it, between input I had here, and what they found out on their own. Just seemed too risky, and both had to be back at work Tuesday so....they have landed in Tampa and now taken off again for Ft. Myers. I'll expect them back in another 3 hours or so.

I guess that trick worked until people started to catch on, and it earned it's own name, Hidden Cities. Too bad. It'll be a long day for them, but they're young and the Super Bowl, Gasparilla, and the general wild atmosphere in town right now awaits them, so I'm sure they'll consider it a great adventure and worth the effort. Again, thanks for everyone's input, both pro and con--it was much appreciated.

Search this Thread