Hermosa Beach trip report

Jan 3rd, 2003, 03:48 PM
Susan

Hermosa Beach trip report

We just spent a lovely three nights in Hermosa Beach, California at the Beach House at Hermosa. The hotel is beautiful, and located right on the Strand (the bike/walking path that runs 22 miles along the Los Angeles area beaches). The rooms are generously sized with living rooms sunken living room, fireplace and kitchenette. The bathroom is very large with a deep soaking tub. We got a rate of $209 from Orbitz for an ocean view room. The location is ideal in Hermosa Beach, right near Pier Avenue and many restaurants, bars and shops. You can rent bikes or surf boards next door. We actually parked our car and didn't get it out for two whole days because everything we needed was in walking distance.

We spent New Year's Eve on the Pier and it was a fun and casual crowd. We had an amazing meal at Club Sushi at the sushi bar. Also, had a great meal of hamburgers and Guinness at Hennessey's, with a view of the beach.

I'll also put a plug in for a great bath shop, Splash, near the corner of Manhattan Avenue and Pier Avenue. They sell all variety of bath fizzes and soaps and candles, and the tubs at the Beach House are perfect for a good soak after a day on the beach.

We got lucky and the weather was amazing, 80 degrees on January 2! We'll definitely be back again.

Jan 3rd, 2003, 04:36 PM
Mina

Hi Susan...

Glad you had such a great trip. I love the area (having grown up here) and like to hear that people enjoy visiting.

And you got lucky with the weather (it has really been wonderful). It's an el nino year, so we're supposed to be wetter than usual. However, every winter, we get a stretch of days with summer weather, and the biggest bonus is that it's not as smoggy in the winter!

Jan 3rd, 2003, 09:28 PM
Debra

There's also a Splash in Laguna Beach. A fun bath shop!

Jan 4th, 2003, 10:50 AM
Susan

How could I forget to mention Good Stuff! Amazing breakfasts right on the beach and right next to the hotel.

Mina, give me your best guess of a month when we would have great weather almost guaranteed. I also used to live in the area and recall June gloom. We're dreaming of a warm weekend sometime before summer.

Jan 4th, 2003, 11:27 AM
Mina

Hi Susan!

For the last few years, it's been not only June gloom, but May Gray that goes straight until August! I remember thinking last year and the year before, hey! Where's summer! It's deceiving too, because the rest of the LA area may have nice weather, but when you get within one mile of the beach, there's this nasty haze/fog/gray.

However, if you want to take a gamble before summer, maybe April May? Hopefully it won't be too rainy around here. But it usually doesn't last long anyway. I always like Sept-early November. We always get that Indian summer, and November brings the Santa Ana's that makes LA as clear as it's gonna get!

It's gorgeous today, so I think I'll go running in Hermosa myself!

Jan 6th, 2003, 04:41 AM
jd

We will be spending 8 nts. at the Beach House in April. We also got that price with a choice of 1st floor oceanfront or 2nd floor oceanview. Which would be better? Also,could you recommend a nice restaurant to have Easter dinner?

Jan 6th, 2003, 09:07 AM
Susan

jd, an oceanview room is on the side, facing north, so you really only have a view of the ocean from the sofa in the living room or from the balcony. We were pleased with it, especially considering the increase in price for oceanfront. The first floor oceanfront rooms have smaller patio areas and are right on the Strand, the walking/biking path. It is fairly busy, especially considering you are right next to the center of activity in Hermosa, Pier Avenue. So, there is a definite lack of privacy on the first floor oceanfront, but a better view.

I believe you cannot specify first floor oceanfront versus oceanview with this rate, you just have to see what is available when you check in. The very best rooms are the oceanfronts on the second and third floors, third floor being ideal. With a stay of eight nights, you might be able to get a better room for part of your stay. We were offered an oceanfront room for one night, but then would have to move for the other two nights and it didn't seem worth it to us.