Help with Where to Go After Oahu

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2007, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, after almost booking a trip to Mexico, we decided to go to Oahu, Hawaii in June. We are staying 10 days (without our two kids) and so far have a room booked in Oahu for 6 nights. After Oahu, we would like to go to another island to get a feel of Hawaii. We are beach lovers so where would you suggest we go after Oahu? I guess folks take a small plane to go to other islands? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 05:54 AM

10 days on 2 islands is perhaps a bit too rushed. I would suggest that you spend a few nights on the north shore of Oahu and the rest of your time in Waikiki area. The beaches on the north shore are lovely and will feel very different from Waikiki. Flying from one island to another isn't a big deal, there are lots of flights on small jets every day and they are pretty short flights. The problem comes in as follows: you will need to check out of your first hotel, go to airport, turn in your car, go through check in process, go through security, wait, fly, get another car, drive to hotel. Then you will need to do the reverse but this time to coordinate with your flight home. Most flights back to Mainland are at night, which means you will have time to kill either on the other island before your flight back to Oahu or on Oahu, depending on when you arrive. The time can be used wisely, but it can be a hassle. You will have your luggage to deal with too[ not sure if you will be able to check all the way through if you have that much time between arriving in Oahu and departing; you should be able to -- but you will have to drag your carry on bags around with you all day.]

Do yourself a favor and spend the entire time on Oahu. There is so much to see and do there. Rent a car and really get to see that island. This is especially true if it is your first time in HI.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 08:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Where are your first 6 nights booked? If they are in Honolulu/Waikiki, then my advise is the same as above. To book your other 4 nights somewhere different but still on Oahu.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 09:01 AM

I love Oahu, but I would go to Kauai for the other nights for a different, lower-key feeling. I don't think two islands in 10 days is too much, and I'm *past a certain age.*
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help! We are staying 6 nights at in Kapolei - Oahu (Marriott). It appears to be 30 minutes away from Honolulu.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 11:38 AM

Hi,

I agree with smcilven. I would head to Kauai's north shore for the other 4 nights!!

A few years ago, we spent 5 nights in waikiki and then 5 nights in Maui. We travelled with three boys and I didn't feel too rushed.

We wanted to see and do as much as possible - as I knew we wouldn't return anytime soon.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 12:33 PM

If you are staying at Ko Olina, on Oahu, you won't be disappointed. We had been there four years ago, and just returned this year The place is even nicer. You mentioned liking beaches, and theirs are beautiful.

My favorite island is the Big Island of Hawaii, but for beaches, other than Oahu, I'd also recommend Kuaui. It also has a very different, very tropical feel. One beach we went to, as far north on the western coast as you can go, was miles long, with hardly anyone on the beach, and the NaPali coastline starting, so the view was spectacular. The down side to that beach, is that you must drive several miles on a dirt road to get to it! We stayed by Poipu beach, which is a beautiful area.

If you decide to go with Maui, I'd go to the Wailea area, as it's more tropical and has better beaches, than the Ka anapali area. However, if there are teenagers or older children, then the Ka anapali area has more of a social scene.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 12:45 PM

I think 6 days on Oahu and 4 on Kauai would be nice. In june, the beaches on the north shore (Hanalei, Princeville) will be safe for swimming.

No need to take a small plane unless you're going to Lanai or Molokai; Hawaiian & Aloha fly jets. Currently there is a new airline, GO!, and thy are all having a price war. $29 each way.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help! Based on your suggestions, we've decided on Kauai for the last part of our trip. Any suggestions for a hotel with a beautiful beach?
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 07:36 PM

Ko Olina is a very beautiful property. I hope you get a beach front room. You will be away from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki. If you just want to relax, then you guys picked the perfect hotel. The location is very good also because Makaha beach is nearby and the North Shore of Hawaii is about 30 mins away.

For a wonderful place to eat (besides my cafe) try Roy's. Very good food.

I hope you and your husband enjoy all the beauty my island has to offer.

Also, Kauai is a good choice.

Much Aloha
M
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 10:33 PM

I have no idea what your budget is, but a nice South Shore/Poipu choice would be the Sheraton or Marriott Waiohai resort. Both are fronting a very nice, swimmable beach. Same beach--different lodging option would be Kiahuna Plantation condo resort. Grand Hyatt is also beachfont, but the beach is not too great for swimming. They did not call it the Shipwreck Beach for nothing. Marriott Resort in Lihue fronts the lovely Kalapaki Bay and is one of our favorite places to hang out, even if we do not stay at the Marriott. As far as the North Shore, you will ride an elevator to the beach at the Princeville Resort. I am not a fan of the East Shore/Kapaa, Wailua, and would not recommend staying on that side of the island. It is just too commercial and crowded for my taste.

Anna Roz
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 07:18 AM

I agree with Anna Roz about staying on Poipu Beach at the Sheraton or Waiohai. (Princeville Hotel is fine if you don't mind an elevator to the beach, and the North Shore is gorgeous in June!) Have a great trip!
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 01:30 PM

We stayed at the Marriott Waiohai time share units, which are lovely two bedroom units, and the grounds are pretty with a nice beach, just next to Poipou beach. The point that seperates the two is just to the side of the Marriott property. We found it to be a convenient place to stay, and were happy with the accomodations. Be prepared for lots of roosters! They are everywhere [resorts, Wailea Canyon, beaches, side of road, etc.] I also should add, there were some beautiful ones!

If you are interested in any restaurant recommendations, I'll be happy to offer a few.