Help with Waikiki Hotel

Search

Help with Waikiki Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2009, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Waikiki Hotel

We have decided to take the kids to Waikiki in the ladder part of August. Out kids will be almost 8 and 5 at the time of the trip. They have both been to Hawaii multiple times but when they were both younger. My youngest was not born the last time we went to Waikiki (2002) and my oldest was one years old. During that trip we stayed at the Waikiki Beach Marriot.

We have been fortunate to travel fairly regularly. Over the last couple of years, we have been traveling to Mexico. Last summer we went to the Club Med Ixtapa and had a blast. It was our best family vacation to date.

My wife and daughter want to go to Hawaii. We struggled between the Big Island and Oahu but ultimately chose Oahu because of its diversity of sights, activities, etc.

We have narrowed our hotel choices to Hilton Hawaiian Village (HHV), Moana Surf Rider, Waikiki Beach Marriott and Embassy Suites.

A couple of friends have recommended HHV but I have varying experience with Hilton properties. In general, I have found them to be fairly average. However, I do remember walking through HHV in 202 and being impressed with the property. I am also told kids eat free at the hotels restaraunt, a big plus. It is also my understanding they have a great pool and a neat kids program. When I went to HHV's web site, they have lots of room choices. Any advice of room choice/location would be helpful.

My favorite hotel (while looking at it from the street - did not actually stay there) is the Moana SurfRider an absolute classic. I do not know anyone who has actually stayed there and I do not know if it is really kid friendly.

The Waikiki Beach Marriott is on the list because we enjoyed its location so close to the zoo and Diamond Head. I am also told it has undergone a big upgrade since 2002. There rates are also quite a bit cheaper than HHV and Moana and the reviews are actually a tad better on Trip Advisor.

Finally, Embassy Suites made the list because it supposed to be a great property with free breakfast and evening cocktails. I have stayed in numerous Embassy Suites on business and to me its always been a business hotel.

Thanks in advance for the advice. We have found that the better time the kids have, the better our vacation. This is particularly true if our kids love the kids program. Thanks again.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 08:07 AM

I stayed at the Marriott a couple of years ago, and while I enjoyed the location and the hotel, I don't think there's anything there to recommend it for a family with young children. The pool is not the kind of pool with a lot of kids running around, splashing, yelling, etc. I think that would be frowned upon.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks sf7307.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

We are no longer considering the Mariot because they are booked during the week of our stay. Thanks.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 11:00 AM

Fully booked? Well, I guess overall that's a good thing.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

They said there was a large convention?
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 11:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I am pretty sure that HHV is by far the most kid friendly of the hotels you list.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Suze
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 01:17 PM

We stayed in the Rainbow Tower of HHV in 2005. It had been recommended by auntymaria, if I remember correctly. We loved the view of Diamond Head.

There are some pictures of the view as well as the room at this worldisround site:
http://tinyurl.com/3y2r56

If you do go there, be sure to join their club as you get speedy check-in (maybe other perks too - not sure) which made a difference to us.
In fact, it is a good idea to join the club of whatever you are doing from lodging to car rental to airline as there are little perks for members only.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 05:48 PM

Of the hotels you have listed, hands down Hilton Hawaiian Village. Your kids will enjoy the penquins, the cultural workshops for both grown ups and keiki (children) and you'll also enjoy fireworks over the lagoon on Friday evenings.
A short walk to Wailana Coffee shop for very reasonable food, open 24 hours I believe. Also kid friendly, well priced is the Cheesecake Factory. Purchase the Entertainment Book, which is on sale at 50% off and really save money on eating,
and playing in paradise.

Now, having said that...please get out and explore the island.
Coming to Hawaii and not leaving Wakiki is like going to California and only going to Disneyland. We do not have any Club Med's here, but there are a bounty of activities to be enjoyed and less "manufactured" experiences are found outside of Waikiki.
There are so many beautiful, less crowded beaches with life guards on duty to enjoy. Hike Diamond Head, visit Iolani Palace, pay homage and see history at the USS Missouri and the Pearl Harbor Memorial. Swim with dolphins - Sea Life Park, stroll the grounds of Foster Botanical Gardens, drive to the country and visit Dole Pineapple, eat shave ice at Aoki's or Matsumotos (less than $2.00!!)in Haleiwa, take a surf lesson with Uncle Brian, or Sunset Suzy, saddle up for horse ride at Happy Trails Hawaii, do the movie tour of Kualoa Ranch - filming of "50 First Dates, Jurrasic Park".

Aloha
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 05:57 PM

I've stayed at the Hawiian Village if I were you. I've stayed at the Moana and there were kids there, but I think it's an older crowd mostly. The HHV will be much more kid friendly. I think the property is beautiful.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the replies. I am not looking for deals at Hilton Hawaiian Village.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 06:50 PM

I have stayed at all three hotels, the Marriott most often. My favorite hotel anywhere is the Moana, but kid wise the Hilton is a better choice. The Moana pool is small and nothing special and the beach area is small. BUT...go and have a drink at the Banyan Tree bar and check out the lobby of the hotel. It will take you back to the early 1900's and make you imagine what it might have been like to be in the islands in that era. Have a great time!
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 05:12 AM

[I am not looking for deals at Hilton Hawaiian Village.]

My point was that a whole convention (maybe more than one?) of people were trying to check in with lines requiring friends of ours to sit in the waiting area for an hour before they could check in. On that same day, we went to a separate check-in line where there was no one waiting at all - went straight to our room.
I dunno, maybe you don't need that?
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 06:26 AM

HHV has PENGUINS!!!!
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. The Marriott is booked for two days of our stay for a Japanese convention. Sounds like HHV is the way to go. Mary, I will go over to the Bayan Tree for a mai tai. I will post trip report when we return.