Help with Utah & Arizona itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be going to Utah and Arizona in late Sept. and would appreciate comments on our itinerary, especially anything we left out or things we should change.

Day 1: Arrive Las Vegas, drive to Zion Park. Dinner at Bit & Spur, 3 nights at Desert Pearl Inn.
Day 2: Emerald Pools, Weeping Rock Trail, Riverside Walk, Spotted Dog Cafe.
Day 3: Angels Landing Trail, Kolob Terrace Road.
Day 4: Drive to Bryce, tour main park road, dinner Bryce Canyon Lodge, sunset Inspiration Point, 3 nights Bryce Canyon Lodge.
Day 5: Navaho/Queen's Garden Loop, dinner at Doug's Place.
Day 6: Sunrise at Sunrise Point, Fairyland Loop Trail, dinner at Bryce Canyon Lodge.
Day 7: Leave for Capital Reef Park. Hike at Calf Creek if not too sore. Also Capital Gorge Trail and Tanks. Dinner Cafe Diablo, 1 night at Red River Ranch.
Day 8: Drive to Arches Park. Make reservation for Fiery Furnace. Devil's Garden/Double O Trail. Balanced Rock, Windows, sunset in park. 4 nights at Sorrel River Ranch.
Day 9: Fiery Furnace hike, Potash Road, dinner at Buck's Grill House.
Day 10: Delicate Arch trail, dinner at Center Cafe.
Day 11: Drive to Canyonlands. ShaferCanyon Overlook, Mesa Arch, Grand View Point, Green River Overlook, Upheaval Dome, Colorado Scenic River Byway. Dinner at Sorrel River Grill.
Day 12: Leave for Grand Canyon. Monument Valley, lunch in Gouldings, see Cameron Trading Post. Dinner at El Tovar, 2 nights at El Tovar.
Day 13: Desert View Drive, Rim Trail to Maricopa Point, Hermit Road shuttle. Sunset picnic at Hermit's Rest.
Day 14: Drive to Sedona. Dinner Dahl and Deluca. 2 nights Adobe Village Graham Inn.
Day 15: Sedona. Dinner Heartline Cafe.
Day 16: Drive to Las Vegas. Dinner at Circo. 2 nights Four Seasons.
Day 17: Liberace Museum, Imperial Palace Auto Collection, dinner at Garduno's.
Day 18: Leave for home.

Thanks for your comments.

Spiller54
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 10:58 PM

Spiller54,

It looks like you've done your homework!

A couple of comments.

The Kolob Terrace Road did not offer the scenic views I thought I would see. There is a Kolob Canyon section of the park but it would best be reached off of I-15 and that would be an 80 mile round trip. After hiking Angels Landing you might enjoy just finding a scenic place in the park to relax and maybe soak your feet in the Virgin River.

This web site gave the best description of Kolob Canyon and Kolob Terrace Drive.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...560026031.html

The day you hike Delicate Arch you might also like to drive out Scenic Byway Highway 128 going east out of Moab and following the Colorado River.

I wasn't sure if that is what you had planned on day 11. If it is then you might be planning a little to much for that day. There are a couple of nice hikes in Canyonlands. Mesa Arch you already mentioned but there is also a really nice hike at Grandview Point. Also since you will be near by you might like Dead Horse State Park.

Otherwise your plan looks great!

Utahtea

Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 08:57 AM

I just copied your itinerary to use on a trip I'm taking next week! The only thing I'd add would be Dead Horse Point SP, as Utahtea also mentioned. If there weren't so many other good things around it, I think it would be a national monument in its own right.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 07:13 PM

You should try the Primitive Loop part of the Devil's Garden hike (if the slickrock is dry). The views were spectacular. This hike took us about 6 hours (did the spur trails and took some breaks). I have hiked at a lot of National Parks. This is my favorite hike.

On day 9, you should probably have time to do the Park Avenue hike. (We have done the Fiery Furnace hike -- it did not take all day).
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 07:43 PM

Your trip looks just wonderful, but, while in Moab, I would try and fit in a day of whitewater rafting. Moab is sort of the whitewater rafting capital of the US.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for the great suggestions. You have been a tremendous help. We have incorporated all your ideas. You're very kind to take the time to help us.
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 07:37 AM

Ditto on Dead Horse Point--it's spectacular! It sounds like a wonderful trip. Enjoy!