July visit to Billings?

Old Jun 5th, 2003, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
July visit to Billings?

Greetings from Pittsburgh, PA.

I'm planning a July 14th - 19th trip to Billings for my first time ever trip to Montana. My interests are scenic driving, Lewis & Clark, history, country music, and hiking. I was wondering if any of you could suggest the following:

Where to stay?

Where to plan my day trips?

What towns, attractions, bars, restraunts and events should I visit?

What funs stuff can I do?

THanks!

Dan
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 04:42 PM

My first suggestion is to get further west--say Bozeman.

IMO, Billings is not in the prettiest part of the state. You are still out on the plains.

If you really want to stay there, you are close to Little Bighorn Battlefield and Beartooth Hwy (a must day drive).

The best things to see in Montana are Glacier National Park, Yellowstone National Park, and Beartooth Hwy. You won't be able to stay in one place and make day trips to them. Montana is a big state. Even Bozeman is pretty far away from Yellowstone.

If those interest you, you will need to stay as close as possible or IN those parks.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 04:52 PM

Hello from Northwest Montana!!
Totally agree with Connie. Fly into Bozeman or Kalispell. For more info.
www.nps.gov
www.discoveringmontana.com
www.travel.state.mt.us/

Though Billings is our largest city it leaves a lot to be desired for what your looking for.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 07:11 PM

Move your base to Red Lodge. The road to the top of the Beartooth Pass starts there. There is a dinner theater at the Round Barn. And you near the Bearthooth Wilderness area.

Plenty of exploring to do from there.

Even a trip over the pass to Yellowstone is quite possible.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

I *would* like to see the great plains as well as the rocky mountains. Do you think that if I flew into Bozeman, spent most of my trip there, and incorporated a day or so to explore Billings that that would be a better option?

Seeing Glacier, and Yellowstone, and the Beartooth Mts would be WONDERFUL! But I'd love to get a glimps of the plains, maybe take at least one scenic drive through them since I've never seen them.

Where is Red Lodge?

Also, do you have any idea what it might cost to rent a car out there?

Thanks again!!

Dan
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 05:42 AM

Dan,
If you're looking for the Great Plains and Lewis & Clark you might also look into flying in and out of Great Falls. It has the Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/lewisclark/lcic.htm and the Charlie Russell Museum http://www.cmrussell.org/ and is surrounded by plains with buttes and mountains in the distance. You could then drive to Glacier Park and the Flathead Valley area for your hiking and mountain scenery. Or you could reverse this and fly into Kalispell and include a day in Great Falls in your driving plans. Check Expedia or Travelocity for rental car rates.
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 07:50 AM

I agree with most who have posted here that Billings is a bit far from most of the famous Montana sites. You could however still fly into Billings and then drive north through Lewistown and on to Great Falls for a taste of the plains. Glacier National Park is about 160 miles from Great Falls and deserves at least two days to explore. You could then exit the park on the west side and drive south through the Swan Valley and work your way back to Billings in any way that suits your fancy. The Deerlodge National Forest is a possibility as are any number of other options. Hope this helps and have a good time.