Help with travel from JFK to Midtown Manhattan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We arrive around 7:30 PM and are wondering about the best way to get into the city.

Also, I recall seeing some posts about wonderful walking gourmet/food tours. Does anyone have any suggestions for that?

Thanks for the help
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 11:59 AM

two of you? take a taxi with a fixed rate ($45?).

food tour?
http://www.foodsofny.com/chelseamarket.php
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

earl,
This is the tour I had heard about.
I just booked my tickets. Thanks so much.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 04:33 PM

Taxi is a fixed $45 fare - but with toll and tip it comes to about $60.

For 2 people you could take a shuttle to either Grand Central or Port Authority and grab a cab to your hotel. Depending on where your hotel is this may or may not be much of a savings.

If you have just carry-on luggage you have a still less expensive choice - you can take the Air Train to LIRR to Penn Sta - then cab or subway to your hotel.

All of the details are on the JFK web site - but so much depends on where your hotel is, how much luggage you have, and if you're willing to drag it around at all.

Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 04:35 AM

As indicated above, "best" depends on how many you are, how much luggage you have, where you're staying and your budget. If your hotel is near any of the Airport Express Bus stops (Grand Central, Port Authority, Penn Station, Bryant Park), that could be handy for $15/person.

This lists all the options
http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/jgtsfram.htm
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 06:59 AM

As nytraveler suggests, if you don't have a lot of luggage, then you should consider the Airtrain, which will cost about $10 per person. You take the train from JFK to Jamaica and then hop on any Long Island Railroad train into Manhattan. You get off at Penn Station at 34th St/7th Ave. This is also usually the fastest way into the city. A cab is, admittedly, more convenient since it takes you right to your hotel.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your help. There are 2 of us- both with light luggage. We are staying on 46th between 6th and 7th Avenue. I don't know the city well at all so appreciate the tips.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 09:09 AM

Your hotel is not far from the Bryant Park stop of the Express bus. If you can walk 4-5 blocks with your luggage, you might consider that option for $15/person or $27 roundtrip.
http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/jgtsfram.htm
Your other option is get their service right to your hotel for $17/person. (You'll get off at Grand Central and switch buses).

You could also take the AirTrain to the E train subway. Get out at 53 st & 7th ave. and walk 6 blocks to your hotel.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

I have another wrinkle. I just realized that there is a Chuhly exhibit at the New York Botanical Garden. If you buy a ticket 10 days out (that would be today) you get a 10% discount on the Metro-North train and entrance. I am leaving from JFK at 7pm to go home so am thinking that I could take the train from Grand Central to the Gardens- see the exhibit and return to Grand Central station and then take the Express Bus to JFK. Is this too much to hope to accomplish without jeopardizing my flight check-in and if I try this, where could I store my luggage- which would be carry-on size?