Reload this Page >

Help with traffic (SNA to SAN area)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 10:01 AM
Sue

Hi all! Been getting some great info from this site... here's where I need some help! Will be travelling with my husband and 7 yr old son in December to Anaheim and San Diego. Want to tell you our intinerary and let me know what you think:
Thurs 7PM arrive SNA get rental car and go to Anaheim hotel (Travelodge Buena Park- any comments on the place?). Going to Disneyland Friday all day (what time should we leave and which way should we go?). PM back to hotel. Sat- check out and head for Knott's Berry Farm (please tell me it's wonderful!!! Looks great on the website.) Leave there around 5 pm and head south for San Diego (which way is best?) to our hotel in Old Town (any comments on this area?). Sunday going to the San Diego Zoo till around 4... Monday to Sea World and half day on Tues to Sea World too... Wed. check out and have a "free" day, want to go on a whale watching cruise and then shop at Horton Plaza (what's it like?) and how much is parking in that area? Also- need to head back to SNA to return rental car and get on our flight (Est time of departure is 9PM). What time should we leave San Diego and which route should we take? Thanks in advance for all your help. Any advice/comments are most welcome!

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 10:52 AM
peggy

Sue - sounds fun. I can't help with all your questions but here goes: Old Town is fun. I can recommend the Old Town Cafe for Mexican food...it's where the locals go.

Horton Plaza is good for shopping. It's in the gaslamp district, lots of good places to eat there. Have fun!

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 12:48 PM
Robin

Wow-- take your vitamins before you leave-- that's quite an itinerary! But your son will remember this for a long time.

Regarding some of your driving questions, from airport to Buena Park, just follow hotel's instructions, and take the freeway (405N to 55N to 5N). By 7:30 or later you should miss most traffic. On Friday, ask the hotel for directions to Disneyland-- you're close and it should be mostly surface streets to get there. Allow close to a half hour to get in to parking area (after arrival at Disneyland) and take shuttle to the park. When you go to San Diego, I think the best plan is just to head toward the 5 freeway from Knott's (or your hotel). You shouldn't have much trouble with traffic in the evening. Anticipate about an hour and a half on the road.

Your biggest traffic problem (and it could pretty ugly) will be on Wednesday afternoon. Leave LOTS of time! In fact, consider skipping Horton Plaza and returning to Fashion Island in Newport Beach, or maybe the Irvine Spectrum, just to ensure that you are in Orange County before evening. The problem is that as San Diego has grown the commuter traffic has become really awful, and your 9pm flight will put you right in the thick of it. This is the only real problem I see.

Fashion Island is an attractive upscale outdoor shopping center near the beach. The Spectrum is more of an entertainment center, with a little shopping (probably more appealing to your husband and son). Which you choose depends on how important the shopping portion is. Horton Plaza is fun to look at, and has a good selection of shops, but isn't really unique, so maybe not worth risking the traffic for. Then there is one other option in Orange County, which is South Coast Plaza, a huge upscale indoor mall.

I hope you have a great time, and I hope there are no accidents!!

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 10:36 PM
Sue

Thanks so much ...
So we should do the whale watching cruise as early in the morning as possible and get the heck outta there, huh?! What's lunchtime traffic like- out of San Diego? Great idea, Robin, about the Newport Beach shopping- thanks... we'll probably do that then. Anybody else got any advise?

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 06:09 AM
Joe

Wow is this a marathon or vacation. ;-)

I would stay at the Fairfield on Harbor Blvd and you could walk to Disneyland. The new parking stinks. Go 15 minutes prior to opening.

Knott's is great, but haven't been there in 8 years.

Take I-5 to San Diego. Old Town is a great location and convenient for Zoo and Sea World. Be sure to eat in the Bazaar del Mundo and stroll through Old Town State park. Forget the 2nd 1/2 day at Sea World. There will be no whales in December. Spend your free day walking the beach/bluffs at Torrey Pines. Horton Plaza is a shopping mall downtown, nothing great, but there are very good restaurants nearby.

I agree with previous poster about traffic. You should leave before 2:00pm or after 7:00pm, but the latter would have you miss the flight.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 06:48 AM
Robin

Hi Sue-- Forgot to mention something-- we love Casa Bandini in Old Town for Mexican food. It gets very crowded, and is undeniably touristy, but the food is really good!

I don't really have any knowledge of noontime traffic, but I'm sure it can't be worse than evening! Glad I could help.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 06:10 PM
D.B.

By 7pm on Thursday you should miss the traffic jams on the freeways, by that time it will also be dark in winter. There are a number of dumpy hotels around Crescent and Beach Blvd., the Travel Lodge may not be that good. If you don't like it, be ready to leave and don't feel committed.

There are a lot of streets and different ways to get to Disney, I will tell two of the easiest for someone who doesn't know the area. Leave at about 9:30am and take I-5 to Disney Way (you will see it on your drive to the hotel from SNA). Or, take Beach Blvd south to Katella, turn left onto Katella and drive until you see Disney (before Harbor Blvd). Parking at Disney is $7 for all day, be sure to note the Pole number where you park (write it down, put it in your purse). You could also ask your hotel if they participate in the free shuttle service. Stay at Disney as long as you can, they close at 9pm in the winter, and there is no firework show. They have restricted hours in the winter, as opposed to extended hours during summer.

Knott's is within walking distance of your hotel, and Movieland Wax Museum is fairly close (on Beach, north of Knott's). I wasn't impressed by the present look of Knott's, you're son will probably like the rides. There is a water park next to Knott's, but *probably* not viable in December (could be if it's in the '70's). Check for discount coupons at the hotel for Knott's, the water park, and Sea World in S.D. Since it is a Saturday, leaving Knott's at 5pm for S.D. should be okay, you should take I-5 and get there before 7pm.

Sea World is a questionable place to go in the summer, let alone the winter. There is a park at Oceanside, just north of S.D. off I-5, with a lot of rides and stuff (you'll notice it during your drive).

It looks like you will be going back to SNA on Wednesday, leave by 1pm and you should be okay. You'll probably get to the airport by 3pm, when all the bad traffic begins. You may have to spend time at SNA, but it's better there than sitting in traffic wondering if you will ever make it in time.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 09:41 PM
Sue

Thanks again for all your help!
Why would you say that Sea World in winter is not worth it? Any other opinions on this? Do they scale back their shows or something? Any ideas on specific shopping in the SNA area? How far is Newport Beach from there?
Thanks alot!

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 10:11 PM
lcuy

I have to agree with above. Take shuttle to Disney land and avoid parking. I was very disappointed with Knotts 3 years ago...kind of shabby and cheap compared to Disneyland and Magic Mountain, but without the homespun charm it used to have. One day will be plenty at Sea World. I don't think there will be whales at that time of year either, so you might use the time to browse Old Town. our kids loved it at that age...Lots of funky old buildings and some very cool toy stores and nick-knack shops. Another activity would be to go for a walk, roller skate or bike ride on the boardwalk (actually, it's concrete)along Mission Beach if the weather's decent. I like Horton Plaza and the surrounding Gaslamp district. Theres a wide range of shops- Nordstroms, FAO Schwartz, Mervyns, several other toy stores, movies etc. You get 3 or 4 free hours parking validation with any purchase. If you stay longer, pull out, circle the block and come back! Memorize your parking space...More people lose their cars there than anywhere else I've ever seen!
If you don't want to shop in LA, I'd leave San Diego at 3:30Pm for a 9pm flight. You will avoid the San Diego rush hour, and have time in case of any accidents up north. Take I-5, then just north of San Juan Capistran take the toll road shortcut #73. It costs $2 and will cut 1/2 hour off the trip. Look for the cut-off for John Wayne before you merge with 405. You'll get there no later than 6:00. Another option is to leave early and spend the afternoon at the San Diego Wild Animal Park, which is quite far north of the city, then go straight from there to the airport. Have fun!

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 02:09 PM
D.B.

Because I didn't think it was that great in summer, it can only be less appealing in winter with shorter hours and schedules. It can be quite chilly as well (December weather varies) -- but, probably less people too. If you leave S.D. at 3pm or so, you may miss S.D. traffic but will be just in time for Orange County traffic -- which is why I suggest leaving earlier. And remember, it gets dark at 5pm or so, not 9pm or later as in summer.

<A HREF="http://www.fodors.com/forums/crossroads.cgi?forumname=United%20States&forum=1&topicname=Some%20other%20traveler%27s%20experience %3a%20Southern%20California%2e&topic=1304974&atomic=messagesframe&keyword=&string=&messagesframe=messagesframe%5fintro&last%5fprinted%5frecord=&last%5factivity=&active=5&x=7&y=11&string=Southern%20California&">Trip Report</A>

BTW -- when I said dumpy hotels I meant dumpy motels. I vaguely remember noting the Travel Lodge, and it might be okay.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 08:47 AM
Sue

Thanks so much to all of you that took the time to help. It is greatly appreciated! We've decided to stay a few nights in Anaheim (at the Travelodge) and then found some cute cottages in Old Town for the duration of the trip. We've taken all your advice and decided to get out of SD around lunch on that last day and head for SNA area. We'll hang out in the Newport Beach area and Fashion Island mall. This should put us close enough to SNA in time for our flight without actually sitting in the airport all day. Thanks again for everyone's help. We hope it will be a great trip and think it will be now that you've all helped us "get the bugs out", so to speak!

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 11:25 AM
Robin

Hi Sue--

Now that you've made these basic decisions, I'll offer one more idea. Once you're in Newport Beach, right across the street from Fashion Island is a place called Roger's Gardens. Since you'll be there in December, consider taking an hour to go over there and walk around. It's really just a fancy nursery, but they decorate beautifully at Christmastime, and it's a local favorite thing to do.

If you're interested, the easiest way to get there is to ask for directions from Fashion Island. It's located on the corner of MacArthur Blvd and San Joaquin Hills Drive, but it would be a little tricky to describe. Anyone should be able to point you there.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 08:22 PM
Sue

Thanks alot, Robin. We'll definitely check out Roger's Garden... sounds like fun. Anything "Christmassy" is always a winner in my book! Thanks again.