Search

Help With Theater Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2004, 12:04 PM
cts
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help With Theater Tickets

My 17-year old theater-obsessed daughter and I will be visiting NY for first time in 2/04. We're planning on staying at Radio City Apts. We could use help in picking out best shows for our time there. Daughter is considering theater (techinical) as a college major, loves cutting edge and edgy shows with a social message. We'll try for Ave Q and Blue Man through Ticketron but are there off-Broadway theaters where we can get tickets ahead of time?
Thanks, CTS
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 12:19 PM
jtp

If you haven't seen Rent, I suspect your daughter would love it, also Wicked-- as for tickets to to www.playbill.com
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 12:27 PM

cts....my teen daughter and I are doing NY theater the week of December 13th. We've booked all but our first night arrival as it's iffy if we'll get to the theater that night. But, we are hopefull and will have the discount codes printed out and will head for the theater upon arrival to, yes, Radio City Apartments (saw your other thread that you will be staying there also). For most of our theater tickets, I used the discounts at http://www.broadwaybox.com. I'm also registered on Playbill and Theatermania. I was unsure about staying at Radio City but on this trip since it's all theater, I decided to stay within walking distance to most venues. Check tripadvisor.com for recent reviews. I'll also post here after our visit. By the way, we are seeing The Christmas Special at Radio City Music Hall, The Producers, Rent, Wicked and possibly Chicago.
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 12:28 PM

February is a slow time for the Broadway and off-Broadway theater, so I'd wait on getting tickets for most shows, as you'll probably find discount offers for most as February gets closer.
I agree, your daughter will probably like Rent. You'll definitely be able to get discount tickets for that one.
Definitely order Avenue Q tickets in advance...the sooner the better.
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 05:11 PM

In addition to playbill.com (register for free and look at their club offers)theatermania.com also has a lot of off and off off broadway listings (and discounts). Broadwaybox.com also lists discount codes but you'll probably have to wait a bit for Feb.

There are a lot of political things playing now (Democracy, Mrs. Farnsworth) but don't know how long they'll be on.

If you really want hard to get tickets and have no luck, applause-tickets.com often has availability at a premium.