Help with special dinner in NYC for picky eater

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in NYC for a weekend this winter and want to eat dinner at a romantic restaurant (ideally around $100-$120 for 2 of us, including 1 or 2 drinks each). I searched the boards here looking for recommendations and googled a bunch of restaurants (Babbo, Bar Americain, Gramercy Tavern, The Modern, Alta, Capital Grille, One if by Land...).

The problem is, I can barely find
anything on the menus that I can eat! I'm a VERY picky eater and I don't eat red meat, pork or seafood. I also will not eat lamb, duck or rabbit. That pretty much limits me to turkey, chicken or pasta dishes and I'll occasionally eat ham if it's with pasta.

After reviewing all of the menus, I didn't find much at all that I could eat, and a lot of the places I either didn't like the atmosphere or it had a prix fixe menu (which I don't want, because it rarely offers me enough choices, and it also gets pricey). Yes, I know I am difficult

I was thinking Tavern on the Green, but they only have their "holiday menu" online now, so I don't know what the menu will be like after the holidays are over.

Please help w/ suggestions...My boyfriend tends to dislike places that are too "trendy" so we would prefer a classic, romantic atmosphere. In the meantime, I'm going to keep searching online. Thanks!
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 09:49 AM

The 'Tavern' room at Gramercy Tavern has an a la carte menu. The service at this place is so good and gracious that I would be surprised if they didn't accomodate your wishes.

Old Nov 17th, 2005, 09:50 AM

Look at menupages.com. It has menus for most restaurants in NYC, and lots of reviews.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 10:00 AM

Go to a great Italian place like DaSilvano and have risotto. Alternatively, somewhere like Felidia makes some fantastic dishes and I'm sure you can get a risotto or mushroom pasta.

BTW, if you're a picky eater, why Tavern on the Green when food is a kind description for what they serve?
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 11:29 AM

First, none of the places you mention will be $120 or less for 2 with drinks and most of them wouldn't be considered romantic with the exception of One if by Land.

Any Italian restaurant should have chicken and/or pasta and vegetarian options for you.

The Tasting Room might be a good option for you and I hear Candela is romantic and not pricey. Look at menus on menupages.com
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 11:38 AM

For reasonable Italian, with excellent ambiance and great service, check out Antica Venezia, 396 West St, At W 10th St. The staff is delightful and they offer complementary goodies between courses.

I agree that most of the places you mention will be higher than your budget.

Old Nov 17th, 2005, 12:16 PM

I second looking on menupages.com or even searching through zagats on line, perhaps focusing on the areas of Little Italy/Nolita/ where you might find more italian oriented which will give you your pasta choices as well as others for your companion if they want other choices and some offer the cozy/rustic italian romantic bent. How romantic you want is another consideration (and how dressy) - there is a little place we like, not dressy, not high end fancy, (Marseille - at 630 9th St at 44th) and you can read their menu on line at www.marseillenyc.com and see choices;/ prices/ their menu is easy to download. My daughter seems to be on the same food radar list as you, and she loves their tortellini with artichoke and goat cheese, as well as many of their salads and appetizers. I feel their prices are extremely reasonable for the food. They have a nice old bar section where you could enjoy a drink before or after, or start a bottle of wine and I also found those prices fair. It's more of a funky atmosphere, but my husband and I have enjoyed eating there, although we prefer to arrive almost as soon as they open,, enjoy a drink at the bar or one of the window bar tables and then going to the dining room so after our leisurely dinner (and we've never been rushed) it is just starting to get noisey as it's filled up while we were there. It's just a thought for you to consider for a meal while in the city. Not knowing how far away you are, you also might want to consider scrolling on one of the web sites like opentable.com, which will show you who has availability on your date and you can book on line w/out having to play dialing for dollars and you can see most menus. I have other romantic places we like, but most of them are over $120 for two including drinks. And it depends on how you define romantic - some of the restaurants you mention, or others think are romantic, are large and sometimes a small, quaint place is just as romantic.
So if it's more about enjoying your meal choices, a certain price range, and just having good food with someone you care about, you might do better to look beyond the usual "nyc romantic spots" that everyone goes to. You can always consider topping the evening by walking off dinner for a bit and ending with after dinner drink, or even dessert, etc at one some of the other more popular "romantic" spots - which would give you that fancier romantic moment but for less money.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 01:25 PM

Agree that the places you mentioned are not in your price range - esp with a "couple" of drinks, tax, tip etc. (Finding a really special dinner in that price range is a challenge.)

And there's never any reason for someone to torture themseles at Tavern on the Green.

Based on your preferences I would look for a moderately priced Italian like Trattoria delArte. But this is a more fun place than romantic or traditional.

Perhaps check with Chowhound.com
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 01:30 PM

Have you considered trying to expand your food options by taking a few risks. All the places you mentioned are wonderful places to eat with well-prepared food. At some point, if you can't find something to eat at places like those you mentioned, then maybe your block about food is taking control of your life.

Old Nov 17th, 2005, 01:50 PM
sandi

A very romantic Italian restaurant is Erminia on the Upper East Side. East 83rd St. between 2nd / 3rd Aves. Small, intimate, reservations required. You might just make it at your budget if you don't eat much. Lots of luck!

Old Nov 17th, 2005, 02:13 PM

I think Apizz on Eldridge Street is very romantic and beautiful. You might get out for your budget if you stick to pastas. This is the Lower East Side, by the way; not sure if you are game for a slightly "edgy" area. Look on menupages for prices and things you can eat with all of your restrictions.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, have been so busy with work that I haven't been on Fodors in weeks! Anyway, thank you for all the recommendations, I'll check them out today. I have another dilemma with the trip but I'll have to make a new post for that...
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 07:43 AM
GoTravel

Trattoria d'ell Arte would work best for you. No way you'll get out of Babbo, Bar Americain, Gramercy Tavern, The Modern, Alta, Capital Grille, One if by Land for $100-$120 for two including tax, tip, and alcohol.

Closer to $200-$300.

Old Dec 7th, 2005, 05:40 PM

I'm a vegetarian and I don't eat mushrooms or tomatoes, so I used to have a hard time. Then I learned that if I go to almost any nice restaurant with an actual named chef, if there is nothing on the menu for me, I just tell them "I'm a vegetarian but I don't eat mushrooms or tomatoes," and they make me something.