Search

Help with Sarasota Vacation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 11:59 AM
SR
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Sarasota Vacation

I know alot of people have given great advice on Sarasota, Siesta Keys, Longboat Keys and Lido Keys. My 16 year old son and I are planning a trip either during Easter break or the first week of June.

Can someone explain the geographic logistics of these areas. How close are they to each other and how do they differ. Which location would we prefer? We will be flying, so will we need to rent a car?

Any suggestions on a good hotel/resort for a mom and teenage son (he may bring a friend)?

Also, considering the differences in rates, availability, ocean temperature and humidity, which time would you recommend, last week in March or first week in June ? Would March be worth paying the extra money?

We've always gone to Mexico during Easter week, but want to try Florida this year. Any insight you can give is greatly appreciated !!
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 12:34 PM

Sarasota is the big Kahuna, and Siesta, Longboat and Lido are the little islands off the big city. Lido is the smallest island/key by far. Next is Longboat, no? Then Siesta, which is the big daddy.

Key is Spanglish for *island* (Cayo).

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 02:08 PM

First, I think due to pricing, you will need to fly into Tampa/St. Pete. At least from my location on the East Coast, that seems to be the case. Not many carriers flying into Sarasota and pricing could be an issue?? In this case, yes you will need to rent a car, esp. if you want to venture out to the other places. Whichever location you choose, you will be able to drive in a short time to visit the others to sightsee.

Sarasota is about a 15-20 minute drive NE from Siesta, and maybe 5-10 minutes East from Lido Key/Longboat Key. Lido and Longboat Key are on just west of Sarasota and north of Siesta, all three keys on the gulf. St. Armand's Circle is in the area of Lido/Longboat Key. You could walk to St. Armand's for sure from Lido Key.

With a 16YO, I think that Lido/Longboat may be a little more laid back than Siesta, for this reason I might suggest Siesta. Either way, it's a very nice area and you can't go wrong.

I can't recommend particular hotels, we prefer find a condo when we're at Siesta beach, but if you do a search on this forum or on the web, you will be able to find accomodations.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 03:32 PM

I can't imagine being in Sarasota without a car.
To be honest with you I'd almost prefer the first week in June when there will be far less traffic and more guaranteed warm beach weather.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:12 PM

I stayed at the Radisson Resort on Lido Key and thought it was nice. You can't beat the location for walking to St. Amands Circle. There are definitely cheaper places than the Radisson but I don't have a rec. Sorry.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 05:49 AM
JJ5

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Resort Lido Key the winter before last, and it was exceptional for a Holiday Inn. The location was fantastic, as you could walk to St. Armaud's Circle and numerous excellent restaurants. We did have a car, but choose not to use it several days.

It also had a nice beach front, which I had almost to myself in December. Kids would like a lot of the places that they could walk to. I always wanted to get back to this particular area but never could. Ringling Bros. Circus Museum/ house / park is not that far either- and interesting for all ages.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 11:23 AM
SR
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your responses !

I need to research more about the entire area to learn all it has to offer. Any good reference books or websites that you would recommend?
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 07:44 PM

simplysiestakey.com is a helpful website.....March will be pricey during peak-season, but the weather won't be nearly as hot as in June. June, however, will set you back a few less bucks, if you don't mind the humidity. As in any case, though, if you're staying right on the beach, then you'll get that great ocean breeze. St. Armand's is nice---and your son may like Siesta Key, in particular.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 09:07 PM

Just a few more tips....

You may be able to fly directly into Sarasota on Air Tran for about the same price as Tampa. Sarasota airport is conveniant, but Tampa is not bad either, about a 50 minute drive mostly on expressways.

Siesta Key has the nicest beach (white, powdery sand) and is a bit more happening than Longboat/Lido Keys (Longboat and Lido are really about the same area). Siesta has a little village with some good restaurants, a market, and a few good bars. Longboat/Lido is much more upscale, think designer boutiques and everyone driving a mercedes (although Siesta is approaching this, too). Still nice, and St. Armand's Circle does have some good restaurants and a couple of bars. Beach is also nice, just not as drop dead gorgeous as Siesta.

Both Siesta and Longboat are right off the coast of Sarasota, as soon as you go over the bridge to the mainland you are IN Sarasota. I would definitely not do this trip without a car. You can rent one at either the Sarasota or Tampa airport, rentals at both are well set up and relatively hassle free in my experience.

In terms of time of year, weather at both times should be fine. June will be hotter than March, but you will have fewer tourists, and I assume you are coming to Florida in part because you want tropical weather.

If you stay on Longboat I second the recommendation for the Radisson, it is by far the nicest hotel I have seen on the island (and I have seen probably 10-15 of them). If you tell me what your hotel budget is I may have more recommendations. Whatever you do good luck and have a great time, Sarasota is beautiful!!
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 05:19 AM

www.sarasotafl.org
is a site that might be of help to you,
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 01:37 PM

We've gone to Sarasota area many times during the first 2 weeks of June . I would recommend that rather than Easter break, since you will definitely be able to swim in June.
Love Longboat Key, but it is not convenient to restaurants, shopping, etc. Lido or Siesta would probably be best for teen boys. Radisson and Holiday Inn are both nice. We used to stay at the Harley Sandcastle years ago because it had 2 nice pools. Not sure if it has been updated recently, but you could check.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 01:48 PM
BAK

I suggest going in June, for the much warmer weather and guaranteed good swimming.

And I recommend getting a car, so that you can go to a variety of places for lunch and dinner, plus, as a feature of your trrip, you can go to various other beaches on several days, and even take a trip to a good swamp somewhere or other.

For what it's worth, it is not all that far up to Sarasota from fort Myers, if it turns out you can get good air fares to that city.

All the places you mentioned are within about a 10 mile radius of downtown Sarasota, and while that's not very far, a car really is helpful.

Another day trip that would be fun for all would be south along the coast to Fort Myers Beach, which has lots of teen-oriented things to do (parasailing, for instance)that would probably drive mom nuts.

BAK

Old Jan 25th, 2005, 02:52 PM
syd

My husband and I stayed at the Sandcastle on Lido Beach 2 years ago, March. The hotel room seemed a little dated, but we had a wonderful time because we were more interested in the beach and balcony. The beach was beautiful and uncrowded. Seemed like most people hung out at the pools which were also nice. I noticed that this hotel beach was maintained much better than adjacent hotels. Anyhow, I love to visit that part of Florida in March. It's a nice break from winter weather in the north.

Definitely look into flying into Sarasota. A nice little airport with enough flights in/out. And definitely rent a car.

Have a wonderful time!
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 03:04 PM

Unless you require a resort-type atmosphere, you might want to look into a rental on vrbo.com. We stayed in hotels until we found our favorite rental house on Longboat Key - 50 feet from the Gulf, a two bedroom, two bathroom house with an unbelievable view. $1300 per week when we stayed in November.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 05:43 AM

SR: I live in the area----if you like, I can send you detailed local maps, discount coupons, etc. You can e-mail me at: [email protected].