Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help with PNW 10 day itinerary (wheelchair accessible)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2017, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of five (all 21+) with one in a power wheelchair, and planning a 10 day Pacific Northwest trip for mid-late August. We enjoy beautiful scenery, scenic drives, charming towns, good food, and a little shopping. We'd like to do a combination of Seattle, Olympic National Park, Victoria, San Juan Islands, Vancouver, Mt Rainier National Park, North Cascades National Park. We've already been to Seattle and Vancouver so will probably only need 1 night in those two cities.I realize we may have to cut a couple of places (maybe San Juan islands and North Cascades as those seem the most difficult to get to?).

We will be renting a vehicle so will need ferries that allow vehicles. As for ONP, I haven't heard great things about wheelchair accessibility. So I'm not sure if we will need more than 2 nights there? And should we stay in Port Angeles or Forks? Also not sure about the accessibility of the other two national parks. And can Mt Rainier be done as a day trip??

I'd love to get your input on the best 10 day itinerary (maybe open jaw) and the best route(s) for getting to all these places.
Old Jun 19th, 2017, 09:19 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Here's the accessibility scoop on Olympic NP - https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvis...essibility.htm and on Mount Rainier - https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvis...essibility.htm Mt. Rainier can definitely be done as a day trip from Seattle, in fact I'd recommend it as lodgings in the park area are few, expensive, and heavily booked.

I'd skip North Cascades NP as there really aren't any facilities in the park per se; it's much more a hiking/camping national park than a drive-through.

Even so, you're going to need to work up an itinerary pretty soon. With all your destinations time management might become an issue, and since you'll be looking for accessible accommodations, you might be running into supply problems even now, particularly in smaller places like Forks. I would probably work backward - see where you can stay and plan the itinerary around that. Note too that hotel prices in Seattle in the summer are outrageous; with a vehicle I'd be looking at areas outside the downtown core. Be sure you bring a handicapped parking placard with you - you can park for free on the streets in Seattle, for example (don't know how Vancouver handles this, worth researching.)
Old Jun 20th, 2017, 05:28 AM

And should we stay in Port Angeles or Forks?

Port Angeles has many more and better lodging and dining options than Forks.

In Port Angles, we like to stay at the Red Lion in a room with view of the Strait of Juan de Fuca. We go off season. It gets quite expensive during the peak tourist season.

And can Mt Rainier be done as a day trip?

Yes, but the long and not-very-beautiful drive there and back makes for a tiring day.

In addition to Mt. Rainier the park has waterfalls and great expansive views of the Cascades, especially on the road going up to Paradise and driving east from Paradise for about ten miles.

HTtY
Old Jun 20th, 2017, 07:46 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
<We'd like to do a combination of Seattle, Olympic National Park, Victoria, San Juan Islands, Vancouver, Mt Rainier National Park, North Cascades National Park.>

I believe that's too many places and too great a distance to cover with only 10 days' time.

Having no idea your priorities or which places are of the most interest to your group I'm not sure which to suggest skipping, but I think you need to leave out at least 1 or 2 from your original list.

Enjoy!!! suze, in seattle.
Old Jun 20th, 2017, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

#4 of 4 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions! I usually plan much further in advance but this is somewhat of a last minute trip.

I thought we will base in Port Angekes since most semi-accessible ONP highlights are on this side of the peninsula. I'm not sure we even should bother going near the Forks area since the rainforests are completely inaccessible.

We will definitely drop the North Cascades National Park as that is too far out of the way.

Between Vancouver Island and San Juan Islands, which would you suggest? We'd like to do 1 night in Victoria but then deciding between Pacific Rim and San Juan Islands. Which one would you consider more scenic?