Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help with planning 4 days in CA wine country (Healdsburg base)

Old Jan 16th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I are going to wine country to celebrate our 40th birthdays/17th wedding anniversary. We will have four full days and will be staying at the Camilla Inn in Healdsburg.

We are looking for some help to organize our days. We will be picking up a car early from SFO on 6/16 (Thurs) and then plan on making our way to Healdsburg. What of interest should we make sure to stop and experience on our way there? Or should we just make our way there quickly and do Healdsburg/Dry Creek for our first day?

The other days (Fri, Sat, Sun) we plan on visiting Sonoma, Napa, Calistoga, Yountville, St. Helena. How should these be best grouped into feasible days?

Should we devote a day to making it out to the coast (Jenner area)? Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Trying to narrow things down...how many days should we devote to exploring the three local valley and then what is feasible to visit with the remaining time?

We are looking for a relaxing pace. Vineyard visits where we can picnic, taste and take in the views.
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 06:46 PM

Personally, 4 days is the minimum I would spend there, so I would make my way to Healdsburg ASAP! I think you are spreading yourself a bit thin and would spend a full day (or two) in the Dry Creek Area. I'd pick Sonoma over Calistoga, Yountville, St. Helena or Napa. I'd try the Russian River area for a day and yes, the coast is a must.

You will wish you were there longer so you can do Napa(and the other nearby areas) on your next visit.
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I wish we had longer already! So one day in each valley (Dry Creek, Russian River and Alexander) and then one day on the coast? Jenner for the coast?
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 10:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
On your way up to Healdsburg, I would loop over to the coast, and hit Bodega Bay, Jenner. Then come up the Russian River and perhaps visit Korbel and take in the Armstrong Redwoods. Depending on what time you have left in the day, you could hit a few more wineries in the Russian River are before checking in.

On Friday, I would head over to Napa Valley via Calistoga for the day.

The weekend I would visit Sonoma town and wineries in the Sonoma Valley/Glen Ellen/Kenwood area one day. Then do the Dry Creek/Alexander Valley area on the other day.

I usually visit only 3 or 4 wineries in a day. That is my limit. I get bored easily, but you need to decide what your pace will be.

There are many trip reports you can dig up to help plan your trip. Good luck and report back.

MY
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 10:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
PS: From Jenner, you would take the River Road to the Westside Road. Many wineries along Westside Road, which will lead you the back way into Healdsburg.
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 02:55 PM

I think Michelle has given you a good plan.
The Dry Creek/Alexander/Russian River areas really don't need a day each-they are all adjacent to one another
and the distances are not that far.

From Jenner, River Road is also designated as Hwy.116 East.

R5
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 04:03 PM

bookmarking
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much!