Help with Philadelphia Area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2003, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is a very nice, safe area on the outskirts of Philadelphia or 20-30 minute drive from Philadelphia for a family to stay? We will be having a student attending Wharton School at U of PA and would like recommendations for the area. Thank you for your responses
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 08:33 AM

Most areas in Philadelphia suburbs are tolerable. Tell us what towns you have in mind, and you'll get lots of replies.
Have you considered staying at the airport? Its about 30 minutes by car to UPenn.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. I am from Maryland and not familar with the Philadelphia area at all. I need some suggestions as to even the names of towns. What would you suggest?? Thanks
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 01:02 PM

Mike,

Look into the King of Prussia or Valley Forge area in Montgomery County. They are close to the Schuylkill Expressway (Route 76) with easy access to Center City Philadelphia and Penn.

http://kingofprussia.com/
http://www.valleyforge.org/vfhome.asp
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 01:19 PM

Why not the city itself (Old City Philadelphia is remarkable)? If you feel a need to stay in the suburbs -
Media (Delaware County), Swathmore (Delaware County) and Doylestown (Bucks County) all have some charm - BUT I do recommend the city itself (Old City, Society Hill, Rittenhouse and Universuty City are all safe and walkable).
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 04:17 PM

Others have mentioned areas within Pennsylvania on the outskirts of Philadelphia for you to consider. You might also take a look at the Cherry Hill, New Jersey, area.

The Delaware River forms the eastern boundary of the city of Philadelphia.

Take the Ben Franklin bridge over the Delaware River, then drive about six miles. Traffic is usually not a problem. (Full disclosure: I never drive it during rush hour.) In Cherry Hill, you'll find great shopping and restaurants as well as some of the major hotels--Hilton, Sheraton Four Points, Residence Inn...

But, I, too, would recommend that you think about staying in the city of Philadelphia. jshultz has suggested vibrant areas--Old City, Society Hill, Rittenhouse--that we enjoy visiting. I drive in by myself and park the car on the street in those neighborhoods and I've never had a problem and never felt unsafe. One warning, though, heed the parking signs. Enforcement is diligent!
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 06:29 PM

I'm not sure what your reason is for wanting to stay in the suburbs, but I just wanted to point out that if you plan to spend any time walking around the Penn campus, you'll find parking to be pretty tight. For that reason, many parents often prefer to stay at the Sheraton or the hotel that used to be a Hilton (forgot the name) so that they can park the car at the hotel and just walk around. Both of those hotels are pretty safe.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 06:22 AM
Jed

King of Prussia and Valley Forge are nice, but getting down the Schuylkill Expressway can be difficult at times. The southwest area is reasonable, but there is no outstanding spot which I can think of. Does anyone in the Broomall - Springfield - Lansdowne area have any suggestions? I don't think going to NJ is reasonable, considering the traffic.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your help and suggestions. As we may be traveling to this area more than once during the school year I have a lot of opportunities now to explore what you have recommended.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Jed

After you visit here, it would be helpful to us all if you would post a short report of your experience on this thread.