Reload this Page >

help with overambitious trip plans

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 06:38 AM
phil

I wanted to go out west and compulsively booked my airfare before really thinking about driving times etc. We are flying into Vegas on the 15th of May leaving AM of 17th. I have reservations at Grand Canyon that night. I have to make it to Denver by the AM of the 25th. Would like to see as much as possible before leaving Denver on 25th. Is a trip through Arizona and NM impossible in this time frame?

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 06:39 AM
p[hil

sorry for the double post....thought I was putting it on two different forumsn

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 06:52 AM
Connie

If I understand you correctlyl, you are leaving the Grand Canyon on the 17th and have from then til the 25th to get to Denver.

I think you have plenty of time to see several things.

I would give myself plenty of time in Colorado--especially the southwest area of Durango, Mesa Verda, Ouray, Silverton, Black Canyon, Telluride (it's a big loop).

You would get to Denver either by way of Grand Junction over (a really neat drive along the Colorado River through the canyon or from Montrose over to Pueblo (another pretty drive).

The first is longer but mostly interstate and the second is a little shorter, not an interstate but good roads all the way.

Have a great trip.
The interstates are good and driving is fast.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 06:59 AM
Robin

I think this goes along with Connie's comments. Pick your highest priorites to tour and see, and then just drive through or near some of the other sites. It's beautiful country, so you'll enjoy just being on the raod.

I don't know if this will work for you, but for a driving trip I like to make lists of things I hope to see, organized by location and when I think I'll be in the area. These lists are usually too long, but they help me keep track of what my options are when I pass through a region. Then depending on time and mood, I add or subtract stops. This helps to allow flexibility, in case the weather is a problem or someplace turns out to be closed or less interesting than I expected-- whatever. It seems like it would be a good strategy for your trip.

I can't help with specific distances and times, but I'm sure someone else will.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 12:15 PM
phil

I thank you for your input. I have already done Ouray etc. so I was hoping to see Az and NM any suggestions on must sees?