Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

DisneyWorld recommendations with a 4 yr. old?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 06:54 PM
Rick

We plan on taking our time and spend two days in the Magic Kingdom. Our pace will be what our daughter can handle. What would you rate as "must do's" in the park in terms of rides, attractions, events, restaurants, etc.? What do we need to stay away from? Any other tips would also be appreciated. Thank you.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 07:52 PM
Gwen

We just went in November (Me, hubby, son[8yrs.], daughter [5yrs] and daughter [3yrs.]) and had a wonderful time.

Your daughter will love the Winnie the Pooh ride, Peter Pan's Adventure and the (sorry to confirm this) It's a Small World ride. Luckily they are very close by each other. Go there FIRST thing in the morning. Then head over to Ariel's Grotto.

And, unless she has a sincere interest in going other places, feel free to ride these rides repeatedly. We realized that our children had much fonder memories of those that they experienced more than once (which we made a point of doing).

Things you should be prepared for, and maybe more importantly, prepare your daugher for: LOTS OF WALKING, waiting in line and EXPENSIVE food and drink.

Have a wonderful trip. And remember, be flexible with your schedule and that you are there to have fun!

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 08:00 PM
Linda

Rick,
Do not go in summer or on a holiday weekend. Take her in Sept, Oct or Nov. If possible, go during the week. You will have much more fun then! Also, be sure to go to the Animal Kingdom- she'll love it!

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 04:07 AM
Enjoy

Does Mickey's Starland still exist to the right of Fantasy Land? My kids loved that when they were younger, but be sure to go first thing in the morning. I also "second" Peter Pan and Small World, and add Cinderella's carousel and Dumbo - these are all close together like a mini kiddie amusement park within the MK. She'd love the Bug's Life show, Dino Dig, and various observation zoos at AK. And Muppet Vision 3D and Oversized playground (Honey I Shrunk) in MGM. My kids also loved the Great Movie Ride, but don't let them see the Alien pop out overhead!

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 04:10 AM
shearl

Take a stroller. Even a cheap umbrella stroller is better than some of the rental ones at Disney. They seem to be meant for the toddler crowd. No way will your daughter survive the immense amount of walking required. And you'll be glad, too, to have somewhere to put the extra things you want to purchase. Check out website http://www.wdwig.com for lots of info.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 04:19 AM
dixie

She'll like everything in Fantasyland, which is geared toward the younger set. Also take her into Mickey's Toontown Fair, which is located behind Fantasyland. It's made up like a little village where Mickey, Minnie, Donald, etc. live, with cute little houses and such. She should also enjoy the Jungle Cruise, Tom Sawyer's Island, and the Riverboat cruise. If you can get reservations, she might like eating inside Cinderella's castle. The Crystal Palace is also great, as the characters from Winnie the Pooh come to your table.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 05:16 AM
Gina

Get the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World with kids at your library or bookstore. It has great tips! And try one of the Disney boards, www.disboards.com, www.wdwig.com. Lastly, do a text search above on Walt Disney World and you will find tons of threads.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 12:32 PM
pamr

Mickeys Starland has been replaced by Mickey's Toontown - it has Mickey & Minnies House, a place to meet Mickey, & Goofey's Barnstormer (ride that one early as lines build up). Rides not to miss in the MK: Dumbo (ride it first thing & ride it twice), Peter pan, Winnie the Pooh, Tea Cups, Magic carpets, Its a Small World, Ciderellas Carousel, Snow White & Buzz Lightyear. At her age I would recommend you not take her on Alien Encounter or Space Mountain. If you can ever get out of Fantasy land (where most of these attractions are), try Big Thunder Mountain, Pirates of the caribbean & Haunted Mansion(if she does not scare easily). Some 4-5 year olds love these, some not. For lunch, try Cinderellas castle or the Crystal palace - both are character meals. The food is not bad, just overpriced. If you are there at the dinner hour you might want to monorail over to O'Hanas (in the Polynesian resort) - their food has greatly improved, its all you can eat & they have coconut races & hulahoop contests for the kids. They also do Mickeys Luau - mediocre food, but you can watch Mickey & friends hula! Be sure to catch both the day & night parades, as well as the fireworks. If you do a second park, make it a water park, or branch out to Seaworld. Animal Kingdom is great but the rides might be too intense (not to mention the height requirements) for her. I recommend you not go in summer, try to stay on the property (you can get in to the parks earlier than others), get to the parks very early (you can avoid the lines this way - we always do) and buy the "Unofficial Guide". It has touring plans that really work! Food is expensive all over WDW.