Help with one day out of four in San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pretty much have my itinerary worked out except for three things I really want to do

GG Park (eastern end)
Palace of the Legion
Haight Asbury

I have this scheduled for one day - cab to palace of the legion, walk down clement street and then over to GG Park then walk to haight Asbury. Is this too much for one day?

I heard Clement street is a nice shopping street - worth a look in your opinion?

Should I do Palace of Legion another day? If so, what bus would I take there? (from Financial district - Battery Street).

thanks so much for your help

(sorry for the double posts - forgot to click on California)

Old Jul 14th, 2005, 07:44 AM

I don't think this is too much for one day. It depends on whether you want to just experience Haight, or go in every shop, as my 2 teenagers did! It sounds like you know to stay away from the Golden Gate Park entrance at the end of Haight. We tried going that way, but turned around and went back- the activity there was way out of our comfort zone.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 08:22 AM

we're going to SF soon, plan on seeing Haight and GGP.
what's wrong with the park entrance near Haight? we were gonna pair these two things up too....

thanks
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Actually, I didn't plan on entering that way because everything I want to see is on the other end.

I'm curious also...
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 09:20 AM

There's nothing wrong with the Haight Street entrance to the park aside from some panhandlers and stoners. Maybe a drum circle or two and people with pink mohawks and lots of piercings. Basically the same thing you'll see in the Haight itself.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 10:11 AM

I don't think Clement Street is necessarily worth a trip. There are nicer shopping streets like Union St. or Chestnut St. in the Marina, Fillmore St. or Union Square. Also, while doing Haight Ashbury, there is a area called Cole Valley a few blocks away -- just a few short blocks, but cute restaurants/cafes. As a rule, you really don't want to go east of Masonic (or really Ashbury) on Haight St. Just not as fun and commercial.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 10:19 AM

Clement street is a string of cheap shops selling vegetables and merchandise - same as China-town, only even cheaper. Can be easily skipped.

Bus lines 1 and 2 go to the 33rd avenue, and from there it's a nice walk past a golf course to the museum entrance. If you have moving difficulties, then take bus 18 to the museum.

From there either take bus 2 down to the east side of the park and walk a couple of blocks, or taxi to the Haight-Ashbury.

For more infor on the buses check MUNI website.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 10:22 AM

We saw people shooting up and drugs being sold. We didn't know how much of this we would have to walk through before we got to some nicer scenery. Especially because our children were with us, we decided to turn around.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone for your replies..pineco - regarding cole valley - what are the streets that I shouldn't miss? I'd like to explore an area I've never been before (or heard of!)

thanks for the bus info Faina.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 12:23 PM
SAB

Since I live in Cole Valley I can tell you that it is a very lovely, friendly neighborhood but it is not a big destination neighborhood, thank goodness. Cole Valley is a very small neighborhood at Carl and Cole--the commercial area is only one or two blocks along Cole--the rest of Cole Valley is residences. If you are interested in grabbing a bite to eat or having a cup of coffee and experiencing SF as we locals do, just walk three blocks up Cole from Haight.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 01:56 AM

You might want to check out Hayes Valley, again,not that long, but really unique shops. Also, Noe Valley on 24th street....again, cute shops, very unique (no chains) and some good restaurants too. I recommend Savour if you go to 24th street. They have an extensive menu, everything is good, but the salads are incredible!

You can get practically anywhere by bus (our system is called MUNI) you can check out the maps and system on line. But, you might also find it easier to catch a cab. The buses, although efficient, do take a while, as they stop about every two blocks.

Palace of Legion of Honour is gorgeous. Don't forget to walk down the bay side a bit for some outstanding views of the Golden Gate Bridge. (Tour buses are not allowed there, so it's kind of a "local's secret".)

GG Park is gorgeous, but huge. Look at a map before you go and decide what you want to do. There are museums, Japanese tea gardens, areas devoted to different plants/flowers (ie: rose garden, hydrangea dell, dallia garden, etc) there are also lakes to rent a boat, and even an area with buffalo!

The Haight is fun, but the previous posters are right, the area at the base of the Haight by the start of GG Park, is not a great area....lots of homeless, drug users, etc.

I live near Clement street. It's got a lot of cute shops, and some great restaurants too. If you want some great food, check out Hamburger Haven on 9th and Clement. It's everything from breakfast to dinner in a coffee shop atmosphere, but the food is great! There are also Thai noodle houses, as well as many Chinese food places to grab something to eat. Two things not to miss if you do Clement:

Green Apple Books it's on Clement just off 6th ave. It's a world famous bookstore, and very unique.

6th Ave Aquarium on Clement between 5th and 6th. Flowers out front, but go inside and see some of the most amazing fish and sea creatures you've ever seen! I recently saw a starfish there that looked like the Golden Gate Bridge! Just amazing things to see! (Better than any aquarium I've been to!)

http://www.sfmuni.com is the website for our transportation system. It will give you fares, as well as maps to anywhere you want to go. Our transportation is generally safe (Depending on the neighbourhood) but always be aware of pickpockets on the busses. Sometimes they get crowded, standing room only, and you just want to be careful.

Have a great time!!!
Andiamo
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 01:58 AM

Sorry, one more thing....the Palace is quite a walking distance from the shopping area of Clement street (which generally starts about 11th Ave to Arguello) You may consider taking the #2 Clement street bus to take you closer to the shopping area. (Please check the MUNI site I advised to be sure of the bus number, and where the bus stop will be for Clement) I don't want to mislead you and have you lost in SF!
Andiamo
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Wow -thanks all!

Andiamo, thanks so much for the info and tips!
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 01:20 AM

SashieZ,
Happy to help! Hope you have a great time! Feel free to post if you have more questions. One thing I love about SF, is it's not just a "city" it's more like a bunch of neighbourhoods, each with their own personalities, all squished together. I think you will have a lot of fun. And, don't forget your camera!!!!

Andiamo