Search

Help with October Road Trip Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 01:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with October Road Trip Itinerary

Hello,
My partner and I are planning a 15 night California road trip flying into and out San Francisco. We'll be visiting my adult son in Berkeley at the beginning and end but don't want to spend any nights in San Francisco or north of there as we've done that several times. We are mid 50's in age and want to see a good mix of California's coast, city and nature areas. We'll have a car the whole time and are fine to walk distances, but we are not big hikers. Here is my tentative itinerary. I welcome any suggestions, advice, comments!

Night 1: Berkeley
Night 2: Carmel
Night 3: Santa Barbara
Nights 4 & 5: LA/Santa Monica
Nights 6 & 7: San Diego
Nights 8 & 9: Palm Springs/Joshua Tree?
Nights 10 & 11: Yosemite area
Nights 12 & 13: South Lake Tahoe
Nights 14 & 15: Berkeley

Thanks in advance!
Kim

Last edited by kimts; Mar 3rd, 2024 at 01:27 AM.
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 05:48 AM

You might check out the redwoods in Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park which is en route to Carmel. Be sure to go to Point Lobos State Natural Reserve when in Carmel. You might see some sea otters which are really cute. Sometimes Highway 1 is closed in sections, so check before heading down that highway which may be the most scenic highway in America. You could stop off in Laguna Beach en route to San Diego. It is an artist community and also has lots of natural areas with some good beaches (of course the water will be too cold to swim in but you can beachcomb). It has many fine art galleries and museums, and great restaurants. Nearby is historic 1776 Mission San Capistrano where the swallows return every year.

Last edited by PrairieHikerI; Mar 3rd, 2024 at 05:57 AM.
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 06:23 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Before checking in at Carmel-by-the Sea, you may want to visit the aquarium and maybe Cannery Row in Monterey.. If you want to see Joshua trees, be aware that there are lots in the Mojave National Preserve.
If your visit is in the warmer months, you could go through Death Valley and come over the Tioga Pass into Yosemite NP. Currently there are over 10 feet of snow on the Tioga Pass.
Let us know what month you were planning this trip.
(just read the title- October) I suggest early in the month for maybe better weather.

Last edited by tomfuller; Mar 3rd, 2024 at 06:35 AM.
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 06:26 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors. I honestly don't see how you'd have time to visit any of the places mentioned above since you are not long enough in any one place to see much of anything

WHEN is the trip -- time of year makes a huge difference re several things -- which roads are open, temps/accessibility, whether multi night stays are required, etc.

As it is - not counting the Berkeley pit stop at the beginning - you'll have ½ a day in Carmel, ½ a day in Santa Barbara, 1½ days for the LA Basin, 1½ days in San Diego, 1¾ days for PS/Joshua Tree, 1 day for Yosemite, 1½ days for Tahoe (if that depending on time of year) and one full day with your son in Berkeley.

OOPS I see now in the title the trip is in October. It will be beautiful both on the coast and in the mountains . . . but you haven't left enough time in any one place to enjoy it. I'd probably cut off the LA/SD/Palm Springs leg and add the extra days to Carmel/Big Sur, and Yosemite plus eithe more time at Tahoe or in Berkeley.

Last edited by janisj; Mar 3rd, 2024 at 06:54 AM. Reason: revised advice.
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 12:45 PM

That is a lot of driving.
Yosemite deserves more than one day.
You could just cut out everything south of Santa Barbara.

I would trade the two nights in LA/Santa Monica for just one more night in Yosemite

Last edited by mrwunrfl; Mar 6th, 2024 at 12:50 PM.
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by mrwunrfl
That is a lot of driving.
Yosemite deserves more than one day.
You could just cut out everything south of Santa Barbara.

I would trade the two nights in LA/Santa Monica for just one more night in Yosemite
Excellent advice. Don't rush the trip and enjoy Yosemite fully.
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 09:33 PM

I agree with the others that you're trying to do too much. Save Southern California for your next visit.
Old Mar 7th, 2024, 06:59 AM

It has been 4 1/2 days since the OP made the post. She/he is a first timer to Fodors. Guess she/he didn't hear what she/he wanted to hear.

"Man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest".

"The Boxer"
by Paul Simon.
Old Mar 7th, 2024, 09:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Stu . . . LOL.

I agree with everything JanisJ said for the same reasons.

October is a fabulous month (generally!) to travel about California.

As for Berkeley, do keep in mind that if you are in Berkeley any weekends in which Cal will be hosting a football game (i.e. parent's weekend on October 19th; also October 5th and 26th), hotels are mostly already booked and are generally substantially more in price. We have season tickets, and have already booked.
Old Mar 10th, 2024, 07:41 AM

I agree with the other comment that California is a big state and all of these places are far from one another so if you want to fully enjoy the places you visit, I would cut out a few places. If your priority is the California Coast and nature, I would cut out LA/Santa Monica, San Diego, Palm Springs/Joshua Tree, and stick with the others. I would also consider cutting out Santa Barbara. There is so much to see and do in the places you picked and eliminating your drive will help you fully enjoy the others and spend more time in each. Enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 10th, 2024, 09:17 AM

Drop SD and add one night to Carmel to give yourself the opportunity to visit the aquarium

nd the Carmel Mission

Generally I would say "slow down". There are many things to see along the coast, such as the redwoods in Henry Cowell State Park

Point Lobos Nature Preserve:

Hearst Castle:

and the coast itself with stops to enjy the view:

Old Mar 10th, 2024, 01:26 PM

Folks - the OP hasn't responded in over a week. A "one and done".

Stu Dudley