Help With Niagara Falls Please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted the following message on the Canada forum but did not receive any feedback, so I am now going to try the US forum.

I have been reading some of the previous posts by others regarding Niagara Falls. The more I read, the confused I get. But that may be because of age!
Anyway, I have a few questions and I am sure that I will be posting a few times, so bear with me.
We (ages 58 & 65) will be in NF for at least 2 days,(Aug. 15 and 16) could be 3 if needed. We will have a car and we will be staying near the IMAX. So far from this forum, it seems like the things to do are: Maids of the Mist, Journey Behind Falls, Whirlpool Jets, and Cave of the Winds.

1st question: Will we need to use the People Mover or Falls Shuttle? And what is the difference between the two?

2nd: Do you think that 2 full days is enough?

3rd: Of the attractions that I listed, are they all very distinct from each other or too much of the same?

4th: People have mentioned buying bundled passes before getting to NF. I have only found one online, Niagara Falls and Great Gorge Adventure Pass. Are there others?

As I said, your responses will more than likely generate more questions from me. Thanks in advance

Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 07:36 AM

I can't answer all of your questions. But I think that two full days is probably quite adequate. If I recall correctly, that's longer than we were there last time. And we were quite ready to leave!

Of the attractions you listed, IMHO, the best one is the Maid of the Mist.

Journey Behind the Falls is nice. But, last time we were there (5 years ago), both of the elevators broke at the same time. There is no other exit, or at least there wasn't at that time. We were only stuck down there 20 to 30 minutes. But, of course, at the time, you don't know how long it will be. It was pretty frightening--an older woman passed out, there were kids who needed to use the bathroom, etc.

I think we took the Falls Shuttle. But don't remember enough about it to be able to answer your questions.

I hope you hear from someone who's been there more recently.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Thought of another question....will it be humid in Niagara Falls middle of August?
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 09:56 AM

My family and I went to the US side of NF this spring and had a great time. You can go to the Niagara Falls New York State Park, buy a day pass and get access for one day to Maid of the Mist, Cave of the Winds, the park shuttle, a film, museum, and aquarium. It's a good deal and makes a full day.

We went to the Canada side about 5 years ago, and while it is more scenic, there is more to do on the US side.

As you may know, MotM can be accessed from either side, CotW from US side only and JBF from Canada only. If you go from US to Canada be sure to have your drivers license and birth certificate. You can call your hotel to confirm what is needed to go over the border.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn in East Aurora NY. It is a bit less expensive since it is not really in NF, but it is a _REALLY_ _NICE_ hotel. On the weekend it is less than an hour away from NF, NY. There are lots of nice things to see in East Aurora too like the Fischer Price HQ, Millard Fillmore house and quaint shopping.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 10:29 AM

Hi I'm a local so I'll help as best as I can. The speedboat will get you wet. If that's not your thing do the maid of the mist. Also I would take time and Maybe do Niagara on the Lake first and see a show at the Shaw Festival (local theatre)I would then drive the parkway and see the butterfly conservatory and the gardens. Then I would do maid of the mist. The imax is at the top of Clifton Hill which is full of wax museums...ect. If you are if fairly good shape you won't need the People Mover or the Shuttle. Fireworks are fridays at 9:30pm you should check out this website http://www.infoniagara.com/ it also helps to know when you are going since there are some local events like the wine festival in September. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 01:16 PM

As Frank pointed out - the Cave is the Winds (base of Bridal Veil Falls) is the US tour and the Journey Behind the Falls (base of Horseshoe Falls) is the Canadian version.

I would walk across the Rainbow Bridge in to the US to view the falls from the US side. IMO, the Cave of the Winds tour is better than the Journey Behind the Falls as it gets you much closer. I would also walk around Goat Island and view the rapids.

Two full days will be sufficient - the Maid of the Mist is only about a 20 mins boat ride, the Jet Boat (which leaves from Niagara on the Lake, Ont or Lewiston, NY) is about 30 mins and so on. I would take time to tour NOTL if you take the Jet Boat from there. Have lunch and stroll around the shops.