Help with Maine itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'd like to go to Maine this summer, and due to schedules, we're locked into mid to late July. We're interested in pretty scenery (especially along the ocean),walking/hiking (nothing too strenuous), some shops, art galleries, etc. We'd like to include Acadia National Park. Since it's already late for reservations, what we've come up with is 3 nights at the Dunes on the Waterfront in Ogunquit and 3 nights at the Pilgrim's Inn at Deer Isle. Deer Isle is appealing because it seems less crowded than other options and still within a reasonable distance to Acadia National Park. We're wondering if 3 nights at each of those places is a reasonable amount of time? Is anyone familiar with either the Dunes or Pilgrim's Inn? Any alternative ideas that might be better? Thanks for any advice.
Old May 7th, 2008, 03:01 AM

It depends a lot on what you're interested in. Ogunquit has a beautiful, but crowded, beach. It is an artsy community within reach of Kennebunkport and York Beach for options during your 3 days. On the other hand, Deer Isle is definitely less crowded and I think you might get bored there for 3 days - again, depending on your preferences. If you want to see Acadia, you really should try and find something on Mt. Desert Island. It would take at least an hour with summer traffic to get from Deer Isle to Acadia. Is there nothing available that suits you on MDI?
Old May 7th, 2008, 03:38 AM

Don't miss the Farnsworth art museum in Rockland. It could be a stop between Ogunquit and Acadia. For shops, Camden is nice and very pretty but will be crowded.
Old May 7th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for the input. I hadn't actually tried looking for lodging yet on Mt. Desert Island. I had come across Deer Isle and liked the fact that it seemed less crowded. However, the distance with traffic may be a real hindrance. We're now considering trying to find a cottage to rent on Mt. Desert Island for a week rather than go to Deer Isle. I only had time for a quick look before I left for work this morning. I'm sure lots of places are already booked. If you have any particular places (areas of the island or even specific accomodations) to suggest, please let me know.

The Farnsworth Art Museum looks wonderful and definitely an activity we'd enjoy.

I reallly appreciate your advice since we're planning this at rather the last minute.
Old May 7th, 2008, 08:52 AM

We go to Ogunquit frequently and have stayed at the Dunes. They have a lovely quiet location right on the tidal river but still convenient to the town. You would drive or take the trolley to Perkins Cove and many/most restaurants. We've also been to Arcadia and Mt Desert---just wonderful.

It sounds like you only have six nights and it's unclear how much of that will be spent driving/flying---but if that's correct you might want to consider two in Ogunquit, two somewhere mid-coast and then two near Arcadia. It's a pretty long drive from OGT to Mt Desert---I think you'd enjoy breaking it up.

Maine is beautiful--enjoy.
Old May 7th, 2008, 12:26 PM

Hello. There will be lots of choices for cottages on Mount Desert Island closer to Acadia without a commute. Try acadiachamber.com for accommodations on the quietside of the Island - Southwest and Bass Harbor, etc. If you are looking for natural beauty, just being outside and shopping opps, the Acadia area will work. You might find Ogunquit to be a tad busy in July but you will love the contrast to Acadia. The Farnsworth is very interesting and has a nice gift shop. Enjoy your stay.