Help with logistics with interisland flights to Kona after main flight

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have roundritp award tickets on Delta to Maui for a 12 day family vacation and thought about breaking it up and going to Big Island for the first five days. We have been to Big Island before but there was so much to see, we always wanted to go back. However, Delta does not fly out of Kona.

So I thought about working it the following way. The flight arrives in Maui at 2:30 p.m. I am thinking about booking an interisland flight leaving Maui to Kona somewhere after 5:00 p.m. Since I would have to purchase the interisland flight with another airline, I am not sure Delta will tag the luggage all the way to Kona. So, worst case scenario, we would have to collect the luggage and check back in with the local airline. How are the logistics at Kahului airport? Are the terminals nearby and easy to get to with luggage? Does it have a good waiting area? Will we be able to catch a meal there while waiting for the interisland? Our stomach’s will be on Eastern time so we might be tired and hungry. The other problem I foresee is that only Island Air has non-stop at 6:15 to Kona. All other flights go through HNL ….there are no award tickets available for arriving at HNL in time to catch an interisland flight.

I know this sounds a little crazy but we don’t want to miss out on Big Island and doing all this on the way back may be more complicated. Any suggestions you may have that would make this easier are highly appreciated.

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 12:22 PM

what date are you flying in Maui?? and have you checked go! airlines?? they seem to have a few flights and are quite reasonably priced. Not sure about airport, we are doing something similar but flying into BI staying for a week inter- island to Oahu for a week and then home from Oahu.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 12:30 PM

The kahului Airport is very small, so logistics will not be a problem even if they don't tag your bags through (which they should). There are decent places to eat and shop in the airport.

Have you checked Go, Island Air, Hawaiian and Aloha for direct flights? I know there are some, but only a limited number each day.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

I did check Island and Hawaiian. Hawaiian's last flight is 3:40. I don't want to risk it in case the incoming flight is delayed or we have to check in the luggage. Island Air has a 6:15 but I don't know anything about this airline,except it looks like they use propellers which are not popular with my husband.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 12:33 PM

Unless your DL flight is really late, you should have no trouble making that 6:15 even with rechecking bags. While my 2 recent experiences with Maui's airport make me think the place is pretty poorly run, it's still small and manageable. Waiting areas are pretty standard. You'll be tired and uncomfortable, but it's probably better than staying just one night in Maui before heading out.

There is food there, but don't expect a nice or maybe even decent dining experience.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 12:34 PM

Go! ( mesa airlines ) fly jets. FYI
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 12:36 PM

We used Island Air and were happy with them. While they are props, they're pretty large and I found the ride little different than a commuter jet. It's a short flight.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

only island air seems to have a direct flight in the late afternoon early evening. By the way Go seems to have nice deals but you have to go through Honolulu.