Help with Halloween NYC

Old Oct 13th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Halloween NYC

Two young cousins are visiting from Spain on Halloween. We do not want spend hours securing a good spot to watch the parade. What are some alternate events where English is not needed?

Thanks.
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 03:26 PM
mp

How young? It's really fun to just walk around the west Village/Chelsea area , and the blocks around Clement Clark Moore Park at 10th Ave and 21st Street doing an incredible job decorating exteriors of the townhouses, and dressing up for the neighborhood kids, who all walk around and trick or treat - people sit on their stoops if it's nice, it's very fun. Even just walking around the blocks near the Moondance diner, before the parade is cool. The only issue is being able to get crosstown - sometimes they block off access across 6th Avenue, and you have to walk up or down a bit.
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

That is a very good suggestion.

They are in their early twenties, raised on farms but both are college educated.

We can the L train across town and go under the madness.
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 04:51 PM
mp

Or you could take the f train from 2nd Ave to 23rd st - check the MTA site tho, because they sometimes shut the W. 4th and 14th St, Stations.

The meatpacking district gets pretty crazy fun, too - really just walking around is lots of fun. Of course everyday in my neighborhood, I see at least one person who makes me wonder, is that a Halloween costume, or just an everyday outfit?
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 05:20 PM

Hi. English is so not needed,and the village Halloween parade will be truly unforgettable--
the crowd makes it fun and the sights are magical.
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

MP, thanks that is another good route. We also take the opportunity to show them the high line, if it is open, and the Hudson.

The parade is great, but I do not want to spend hours staking out a good spot to view it. Actually I though the parade was better 20 years ago when it wasn't as orgainzed.

I have now been told, I will be wearing a costume but they are afraid to tell what it is. And of course the kids from Spain do not know thwy will be required to where a costume by their older cosuins.