Notices

Help with Chicago for White Sox Games

Old Feb 18th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Chicago for White Sox Games

Ok, I've got my tickets to see the Red Sox vs. the White Sox in August, now I'd appreciate some help from White Sox fans. We fly in Friday night, have tix to games Saturday at 6:05 and Sunday at 1:05 then need to fly out Sunday night.

Am I right to assume it will be much easier if we fly in and out of Midway? Especially to get a decent flight out on Sunday this looks like a no brainer because its such a short ride on the el. All I read about traffic to O'Hare is scary - but maybe its not so bad on a Sunday night? thoughts?

What about hotels? My initial thought was to stay somewhere in the loop, to get the feel of the city (my MIL has never beeen) but if there's something decent near the field maybe that's better, because I doubt we'll go out after Saturday night's game, and then we could leave our bags checked for our return home. Anyone know any good hotels or B&Bs near Celluar Field? Any other tips? Excited to see all the Sox, should be a slugfest!
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 11:14 AM

Based on my research into Chicago (I am coming to Chicago for the same reason you are in August), it would be better to stay on the Loop so that you can enjoy more of the city. However, since you will most likely need to leave right after the game, I can agree with what you are thinking in staying near there. Not sure what the options are though. Midway is easier access. I hate to suggest a car in Chicago but it most likely is the most logical way for you to deal with Sunday night. maybe just rent one for the day?

Heres my thread on what to do in Chicago.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35092252
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 11:21 AM
JJ5

Stay downtown, anywhere close to the Redline el. It goes right to U.S. Cellular, and it is a very short ride.

You do not want to stay nearer, as nearer is either expressway, IIT, public housing, and U.I.C. with variance housing, but nearly entirely residential.

The area used to be worse than it is now, but to many non-city and city dwellers alike it will look grittier than what you may be used to.

Those tickets may be harder to get, so order them online.

You definitely can fly Southwest to Midway, very cheaply. There may be other carriers that work as well. Be suspicous of ATA. They are using SW flights or gates at times. I don't know if they are doing it with Boston, but they certainly are for FL cities. And when you deal within 2 structures of vendor, it gets more problematic for changes etc.

Southwest you can do for sure with many choices to MWY. But be aware that they have ticketless online purchase with a log in for your seat category 24 hours in advance.

So you would have to log on and print your pass 24 hours before you leave Chicago. All the hotels will do it for you. They have for me in D.C., Lake Tahoe and various other cities.

It is a breeze coming in/out of MDWY. You can take the orange line to downtown locations, shuttles, or cab- you do not need a car at all.

Transport to MWY from downtown and back is no hassle, and delays are miniscule there. It works fabulous for fast trips like this.

If there are any B&B's near US Cellular, I don't know of them. It is surrounded by an expressway, IIT, public housing and various gentrified areas, but it is gritty city, and not pretty city.

There are some places like Jimbo's that have a Sox feel, but I would not suggest you do those in your time frame.

Have a wonderful time!

You will see lots of things you don't at other stadiums. Like kids do the "Fundamentals" segment, and you have entry into a pizza race, sausage race etc.

Your Saturday night game will have full fireworks after, so it will be a full night.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 11:43 AM
JJ5

You do not need a car.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 11:56 AM
dmlove

You should definitely fly out of Midway - assuming you're going right to the airport after the Sunday game. It'll be easy - one or two stops on the red line, transfer to the orange line and go straight to Midway. We did it after a soccer game at Soldier Field last fall and it was very easy (we only had a gym bag apiece, so took them with us to the game).

Old Feb 19th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Looks like we will fly to Midway, and stick with takeing public transport or cabs if we have to. This will force us to pack light. For the hotel, so far I've got reservations at the Fairfield Inn downtown. It gets good reviews on trip advisor and seems to be on the red line. So unless I find a better bargain somewhere nicer - that should be it.

The White Sox site shows fireworks on Friday night, so I guess we'll miss those. Saturday night is listed as the "Beach Bash" so maybe we'll get free beach balls? These are officially banned at Fenway. Sometimes security will confiscate then pop them.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 05:45 AM
JJ5

Unless they've changed for this year, and it could be, Saturday night is always fireworks, and Friday night is sometimes fireworks as well.

If you have a giveaway night on Saturday, you should be one of those who show up in the first 15,000 or so. Usually on large items, they may only have that many or even 10,000 to give away.

I have a whole collection of Bobbleheads from that mode. Someone is avidly trying to get my pristine Ordonez, with short hair, and a White Sox uniform on.

Then again, you may not want to be carrying any beach items or a beach ball with you or on the way home either.

Those tickets will be harder to get, but maybe I'll try to go to that Sunday one. I think my son has tickets for all the Cubs, Yankees, RedSox and Detroit games already and I know he won't use all of them.

Old Feb 19th, 2008, 05:54 AM

I would also suggest transit passes. If you're arriving at Midway, you can purchase them in the rail station from a separate vending machine that sells regular transit cards. The machines accept cash and plastic.

A 2-day pass would cost $9 and allows unlimited rides on all CTA buses and trains for a 48-hour period.

To reach your hotel, you have two options. The first is transfer at Roosevelt. Catch the Red Line to Howard and exit at Grand Avenue. Walk north on State Street 2 blocks, then turn right on Ontario. The Fairfield is about 4 blocks on the left.

Option two is to exit the Orange Line at Randolph. Walk 1 block south on Wabash to Washington. Turn left, and catch a Number 151 bus between Wabash and Michigan. Exit the bus at Ontario and your hotel will be about 2 blocks ahead on your left. The stops will be displayed on the sign above the windshield and announced as you approach them.

Cellular Field has a bag check at $2 per item, so you won't have to hold your luggage during the whole game.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Citylights, Thanks so much for the info. Great to know we can do bag check at the field, that'll be a big help. Transit passes sound like a must as well.

JJ5 we bought our tickets through an auction on the White Sox site -we're in section 140, paid more than face value, but a lot less than ticket agencies were showing for those games.

Old Feb 20th, 2008, 07:37 AM
JJ5

Good job! Those ticket agencies are pure scalpers, as far as I'm considered. I would never buy my tickets that way- and 140 is great- have a wonderful time.

Even if it is an August night that still registers over 90 degrees F- the ball park is almost always breezy and FUN.