Help with budget hotels in Waikiki

Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Help with budget hotels in Waikiki

aloha my Fodor/Hawaii friends~

Things seem to be changing fast. I have stayed at (and loved) the Hawaiiana Hotel a couple times but recently read it is being converted to a dorm for University students (anyone else heard this?). Then I tried to reserve Queen Kap online and all of November was not available. Turns out it is being sold and no longer a Castle Resort so you can call the hotel direct but not reserve on a website (should I be afraid?). Royal Grove is my next thought. But I'm open for suggestions.

Requirements... under $100 (so about $85/night + tax) and a swimming pool
mahalo, suze
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suze, you might try the Ocean Resort. We stayed there in June for $99 per night, and I recently saw an ad for a special at $69 per night. The address and 800 phone number are 175 Paoakalani Avenue, 800-367-2317. The location is a couple of blocks from the beach and a block over from Kapiolani Park.

It isn't anything like the Hawaiiana. It is a high rise and books in tour groups. If you do use them, take all your documentation with you. I had confirmed two ocean view rooms for five adults (our three grown daughters, DH, and me). What we initially got were two rooms with two twin beds each. They offered a rollaway for the third person in our room. There wasn't enough room for our luggage, much less our comfort, and the rollaway was only suitable for a small child--very uncomfortable for an adult. After raising quite a bit of fuss the next morning and confronting them with their own e-mails, they gave us a nice room with a kitchenette. The other two girls stayed where they were, so we were in separate wings but did both have ocean views.

I don't necessarily recommend the place, but they do have a pool and they are cheap and clean. If you want ocean view, you have to go above the 13th floor. There is a ubiquitous ABC store up the street, and it is close to Lulu's Restaurant.
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 05:02 PM

Aloha Suze..
We just got back from Kauai and stayed at the gorgeous Grand Hyatt Kauai and though we did a package deal on expedia, the 5* hotel worked out to less than $85 a night!
Flights are really expensive still from SD to HNL/LIH..
Cheaper from the SEA..
Did you try the 4-5* resorts on Expedia?
I know you like smaller boutique types but its worth a try.
Mahalo to you and have a great time!
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 07:44 PM

I also had pretty good luck with Priceline last month in Honolulu and the Big Island, although my budget was a little higher. I did wind up with the Marriott (Big Island) and Wyland (now a Courtyard on Waikiki). I also booked pretty far ahead of time, so I'm not sure if I got the cheapest deal possible.
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 08:10 PM

This is slightly above your budget, but maybe they'll make a deal. I haven't stayed here, but we checked it out when we were in Waikiki in May. It's a great location. The pool area looks nice. It's basically an updated motel in a great near-the-beach location.
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 08:11 PM

OK, that was dumb. "This" is the Breakers:

http://www.breakers-hawaii.com/en/content/rooms-rates
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

sf7307~ Thanks, I know The Breakers, it's right next door to the Hawaiiana Hotel so I've seen the place and it's a very nice and just my style! At $125/night is a bit high for my budget but certain a consideration.

ksucat~ Expedia 4-5* are out of my price range & package deals usually don't work because I'm solo and they are based on double-occupancy.

andrews~ I've never used Priceline and am a bit of a chicken about it, but you never know!

carolyn~ Thank you for the detailed comments about Ocean Resort. That is the hotel the reservations person at Queen Kapiolani suggested (it is another Castle resort) while perhaps lacking the charm of Hawaiiana Hotel, it does fit my vacation "requirements" of budget, pool, central area.

THANKS everyone.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

I got an update on the situation at the Hawaiian Hotel from knowledgeable local expert, Dusty over at TA (mahalo Dusty). He said it IS being used as a dorm but still operating some rooms as a hotel. I'm not sure if that would be OK or like spring break -lol! They do have an internet special for $75/night on the standard rooms (that are usually $125).
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 08:48 AM

I too am a big priceline/hotwire fan. We just got the Marriot Waikiki Resort and Spa for a week in Nov, $99 a night.
If you are chicken go to these boards and educate yourself on the bidding process and it also has a list of the hotels in each catagorie, takes out the surprise factor, almost!
www.betterbidding.com
www.biddingfortravel.com
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 09:57 AM

All of these are well-reviewed and come in under $100 per night for November:

www.waikikijoyhotel.com

www.miramarwaikiki.com

http://www.castleresorts.com/Home/ac...ile-sky-court/

www.waikikisandvillahotel.com
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 10:03 AM

suze..
what's the dates you are looking at for Oahu?
I was plugging in a single supplement on expedia for you..and was coming up around $100 on 4* midweek..but didn't know your exact dates..
Priceline would work if you plugged in 4* and your area..
I would so go for it..
Aloha
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

ksucat~ 10 days in early November, dates are flexible. When you say "on expedia" are you doing only the hotel, or the plane ticket too?

MissM~ There are some great internet prices coming up at those hotels, in the $60-80/night at both Mirimar and Sand Villa. Thanks.

Thanks for the creative ideas... everyone.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 10:46 AM

Don't want to hijack this thread, but ksucat, how did you get the Hyatt Kauai for $85/night. We love that hotel, but it is usually so expensive! Thanks!
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 11:45 AM

Aloha suze..just doing the hotel and putting in 1 person.
I am going to see what comes up with the dates you gave me.

Samsaf..package deal on expedia with the flight/car/hotel and we did the garden room and we were bumped up to a deluxe ocean room which was an extra $300 per night that I didn't pay for and also they gave us the free $56 breakfast coupons which effectively really made it about $40+ a night..
I know..I still can't believe it..
Grand Hyatt Kauai is one of the most exquisite hotels I have ever been in..rooms need some renovation but the staff was first rate and the grounds were stellar.
The salt water lagoon was worth $1400 for the week!
Keep in mind that the flight was almost $900 pp from SD to LIH..it was really expensive and the car was about $300 on its own and we paid $1400+.
I see that its going from $1800-$2200 on expedia..
Other package deals with Hawaiian where around $2400+
I think we got one hell of a deal!
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 11:51 AM

suze..
just plugged in Nov 7th-18th for 10 days for 1 person in Oahu and I got Castle Ocean Resort Hotel Waikiki for $58 for a 3* hotel and the Miramar Waikiki for $82 for a 3* and the Acqua 3* for $70+
Keep us posted!
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 12:00 PM

Castle Hokele Suites Waikiki studio with kitchenette with breakfast for $75 a couple of blocks from Waikiki and has a pool...$100 for a one bedroom suite and kitchenette.
expedia.com
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

I understand about hotwire/priceline being a discount website because you are bidding and not sure what exactly you'll get.

But isn't Expedia just a middle-man? For example with the Miramar I'm seeing the same price $79/$89 superior/deluxe right on their own website. What is the advantage to using Expedia instead of booking directly with the hotel? Please don't take this as sounding argumentative, I am really interested in understanding.

Right now in the lead in my mind is Waikiki Sand Villa a Deluxe room with internet & weekly rate applied for $60/night + tax includes airport shuttle round trip.

I have to have a pool, like a lanai & little frig, but really don't need a separate bedroom or kitchenette for just myself.

Thanks a million for all the help, I was assuming I'd go back to Hawaiiana or try out Queen Kap but for reasons mentioned in my OP those ideas went out the window
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 01:59 PM

I have found that expedia will include all the taxes in the rate you see vs. the rate direct from a hotel.
just like I went to the Hyatt website to see if they could match the deal I got on expedia but a garden room with breakfast buffet was $323 a night vs. $95-$56= $39 room total buffet coupon of $56 which made a a beyond killer bargain..even tho that is a package deal.
What I would do is follow that deal on expedia all the way before you put in your credit card to see what total charges are.
Most of the time, expedia beats direct 95%..
Only you know what works for you but hey, if you can be in a decent clean 3* with a lanai, fridge, internet, breakfast and a pool in Oahu...for under $100..how great is that!
Aloha and keep us posted!
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

actually it's only a 2-1/2 stars ;-) and the breakfast is nothing much but pool gets great reviews. And it IS $73/night even with the taxes on and includes RT airport transportation.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 03:34 PM

Waikiki Sand Villa sounds like winner chicken dinner to me suze!
RT airport transportation is key and the bus is one of the best things going on the island...is it still a buck?
Love that the pool gets great reviews..do you bring your notebook/laptop?
Send us reports aloha style..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -