Help with an active Seattle Plan

Old Apr 5th, 2016, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Help with an active Seattle Plan

Planning for a week in Seattle in July. We have to be in the city both weekends but will have the week in between to see other sights.
We are very active and love to hike, bike, kayak, etc... We would love to take a whale watching trip as well as a kayak excursion.
I'd love opinions on whether we should make Seattle the base for our whole trip and just do day trips during the week or should we spend the two weekends in Seattle and then move elsewhere for the week in between?
Hotels recommendations in Seattle (central location) and any where else recommended will be appreciated.
What are the cannot miss hikes? Best whale watch companies and where from?
And I would love expert ideas on an itinerary to see the best of the Seattle area in that time frame.

Thank you so much!
Old Apr 5th, 2016, 03:21 PM

Bring your passports and take the Clipper to Victoria.
Stay overnight and then come back to Seattle.
Take a day trip to Portland on the Amtrak Cascades.
http://www.clippervacations.com/seattle-victoria-ferry/
Old Apr 5th, 2016, 05:45 PM

Argosy has a good whale watching excursion to San Juan Island.

There are many hotels in Seattle's retail core, the center of which is 5th Avenue and Pine Street. A few months ago somebody here recommended the Mayflower Park Hotel, which has been a Seattle favorite since the 1920s. The inquirer stayed there, wasn't pleased, and came back to this forum to complain that he had been given bad advice.

When I travel, I consult TripAdvisor to learn about hotels.

I'm confused. First, you say you will be in Seattle for two weekends and then you seem to ask if you should do something else.

In any event, my "don't miss" list in this region includes Mt. Rainier, the Columbia River gorge, and the Oregon coast. Additional Washington State highlights are the Olympic National Park, the San Juan Islands, Mount Baker, and the North Cascades

There are endless opportunities for outdoor activities in the Pacific Northwest.

HTtY
Old Apr 5th, 2016, 06:13 PM
mms

I would absolutely head to Olympic National Park for the week between the weekends. That is a good amount of time to explore the park, which does take a lot of time as the way it is laid out is not one that is easy to do when one is short on time. Make a loop (either direction) from Port Angeles to Lake Quinault to Seattle. Near PA, Hurricane Hill is a must and there are a couple of good hikes right there. Near Lake Crescent is Marymere Falls, which is a great little hike. Short and easy, but very beautiful. Near Lake Ozette the Cape Alava loop is a fantastic hike. It is 9 miles, with 3 miles in on a boardwalk, then 3 miles along the beach, and then 3 miles back on another boardwalk. The only thing with this one is you HAVE to time it with the tides or you will be in a world of hurt if you are down on the beach when the tide comes in. Rialto Beach is great, and then down near Kalaloch, hit first, second and third beaches, and Ruby Beach. The Hoh Rainforest has some great hiking too. The short Hall of Mosses trail is great (short and easy) and a bit eerie. Down at Lake Quinault there are some great trails as well. Lake Quinault Lodge is a great place to stay too. That gives you a very quick overview, but there is so much more to it all, but gives you a start for what there is to do.
Old Apr 5th, 2016, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

We have to be in Seattle on arrival weekend and the next weekend. We will have the 5 days in between to plan whatever we want. Looking for ideas.

Thanks for the ideas so far.
Old Apr 5th, 2016, 07:07 PM

Hotels in the city are crazy expensive during cruise season, so I'd definitely spend the weekends in town if you must, but definitely somewhere else during the week.

The Olympic Peninsula is a great idea. Three or four days for Olympic NP, maybe one for a day trip from Port Angeles to Victoria BC (go as foot passengers.) There are whale watching operations out of Port Townsend on the Olympic Peninsula, also several that depart from Victoria's Inner Harbour, just across from where the ferry from Port Angeles docks.

With ONP you've got it all - alpine scenery at Hurricane Ridge, the amazing Hoh or Quinault rain forests, the marvelous beaches out on the coastal strip, waterfall hikes, hot springs... yikes. Plus picturesque Port Townsend, fields of lavender around Sequim ("skwim,") vampires... oh wait.
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 03:42 AM

If food is your priority: day trip. Best food and drinks are in the city.

If the great outdoors is your priority: don't stay in Seattle. One major problem with staying in Seattle (aside from not being in proximity to most of the best hiking) is the traffic. You will eat up a lot of time just driving in and out of the city.

I agree with mms. ONP is the best idea, if you are really after outdoors stuff. But you can kayak, hike, camp, etc. all close enough to Seattle. Heck, you can probably do all that within city limits.

My personal limit is 3 days in the city. This especially during the summer, when a lot of places are crowded with cruise ship folks. I mean I can entertain myself in Seattle for weeks at a time, but the stress sets in at about three days, and I'm much happier if I get out and go hiking or something. Driving in Seattle traffic cranks up that stress.
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 07:44 AM

Agree Hurricaine Hill is a great hike with beautiful views. And at
Lake Crescent you can rent kayaks. We had a couple of nice paddles there. We enjoyed staying at the Lake Crescent Resort.