Search

Help with 8/05 Alaska Itinerary?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with 8/05 Alaska Itinerary?

Here is the tentative itinerary. Some specific questions:

1. I have this fantasy of kayaking amongst icebergs. Neither one of us is experienced, so it would have to be a guided tour. Where can I find this type of adventure?

2. I can't decide between the glacier cruises out of whittier. The 26 glacier tour covers much more area but is much pricier than the Prince William sound one for which I have a toursaver coupon. Or would glacier cruise out of Valdez be better? There is a toursaver coupon for Stan Stephens out of Valdez. Or should we do one out of whittier and Valdez? I'm getting confused!

3. It seems like most people recommend going only as far as Fish Creek since it would allow us to fit in a little bit of hiking rather than the 11 hour Wonder Lake trip? I'm afraid of missing out on something major if we don't go as far as Wonder Lake!

Thanks!

8/13: Sister arrives. Spent night in Anchorage

8/14: Drive from Anchorage towards Seward. Stop for Alyeska Tram, Portage Glacier/visitor's center, Exit Glacier Trails. Overnight in Seward.

8/15: Kenai Fjords Northwestern Tour (toursaver coupon). Overnight in Seward.

8/16: Drive from Seward towards Homer. Maybe Bishop Beach Trail in Homer if time. Overnight in Homer.

8/17: Emerson Air Bear Tour. Overnight in Homer.

8/18: ??? Maybe kayak trip with three moose.

8/19: Drive Homer to Whittier, Portage Pass Trail

Was thinking of Glacier tour, but don't know whether to do the 26 Glacier Tour or the Prince William Sound one on which I think we would see less, but we would be able to use the toursaver coupon. Another possibility is kayak?

Overnight somewhere between Whittier and Talkeetna

8/20: Talkeeta Aero Services Summit Flight (toursaver, but paid for upgrade) at 1:00pm. Drive towards Denali NP. Maybe do some hikes near entrance?

8/21: Denali Shuttle probably only as far as Fish Creek

8/22: Since we will be driving a rental and probably won't be allowed on the Denali Highway, drive up towards Fairbanks, down Richardson Hwy. Overnight in Glenhallen.

8/23: Drive towards Valdez. Stop at Thompson Pass, Worthington Glacier. Overnight in Valdez.

8/24: Maybe spend day in Valdez, but don't know what to do. There's glacier cruises, but we are probably doing one out of Whittier. Would another one be too much or would glacier cruise out of Valdez be better than Whittier? There's a toursaver coupon for Stan Stephens.

8/25: Drive towards Matanuska Glacier, do guided 3 hour glacier trek. Overnight somewhere between here to Anchorage.

8/26: Maybe explore Hatcher Pass, but I'm under the impression that rental cars won't allow this? Flight out of Anchorage in evening.

Old Jun 24th, 2005, 03:47 AM

There are kayak trips near glaciers out of Valdez and Whittier, go with who fits your time best. As for the Whittier glacier tours, you are on a more extensive trip with Phillips but I would and have gone out of both Whittier and Valdez in the same trip. Very different sights AND glacier viewing, my suggestion would be to consider the 2 toursaver deals and go with them.

As for Denali Park, you will be on the edge of bug problems at Wonder Lake, I never go there before the last week of August since they are so significant. Only you can decide if the longer trip is of interest. It ALWAYS is a priority for me. If possible you may want to consider an overnight bear watching trip out of Homer, reports are way more favorable since the hords of day tourists are gone in the pm when the bears can be more active. This was from a Halo Bay email.

I do not recommend just a drive to Fairbanks and down the Richardson in a day. Fairbanks is worth an over night and the drive isn't that scenic in my opinion. Better would be a drive over the Glenn and the ferry back to Whittier. A far nicer loop. Glennallen has little in accomdations. I would instead suggest Sheep Mt., Copper Center Roadhouse or the Copper Princess. the Caribou has a WIDE range of rooms and some on the "edge".

Correct, FEW if any rentals are allowed on the Denali Highway, IF you do find one, highly recommended is a SUV, for the added clearance and be sure to purchase their extra waivers.

You can drive the fully paved road to Independence Mine via the Hatcher Pass, from Palmer
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 10:33 AM

BudgetQueen, my Milepost shows a gravel road going to and thru Hatcher Pass and continuing on. Are you saying you can drive on a paved road? I'm mostly interested in photographing the scenery.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 07:20 PM

When we were there the first 2 weeks of June, we did a guided kayak tour in Valdez among the icebergs. (Alaska was our first kayaking experince.) The larger icebergs are with the Colombia Glacier kayak trip, but you have a better chance of seeing calving with the Shoup Glacier kayak trip since you only get within about 3 miles of the face of the Columbia Glacier. Two equally reliable outfits with basically the same kayak trips, Anadyr and Pangaea, operate out of Valdez. The drive to Valdez through Keystone Canyon and Thompson Pass is quite remarkable. We did not do a boat tour out of Valdez, but both Stan Stephens and the LuLu Belle were highly recommended by friends.

We did an overnight kayak trip in the Blackstone Bay area. LOTS of glaciers, icebergs, beauty, etc. Something to consider if you can work it into your plans. Search "Blackstone Bay Kayaking" for many operators with varying prices and lengths of trips.

We went to Fish Creek on our shuttle trip so I can't advise you on Wonder Lake. But trust Budget Queen's advice, because with the additional rain they've gotten in late May/early June, the mosquitos were already out in force while we were there.

We LOVED Homer! Not so wild about how touristy is seems to be getting, but the views are the some of the best, if not THE best! We were too early for the best bear viewing, but it's something we definitely want to do in the future. Have you considered a halibut fishing trip? We went with Captain Mike's and loved every minute of it!

Although Budget Queen is correct, Fairbanks is worth an overnight, we didn't have the time for an overnight there. And since we shot the wad on kayaking, flightseeing, halibut fishing (and shipping it home), etc., we couldn't afford the car ferry, so we drove the loop--and do not regret one inch of that drive! We went from Healy to Fairbanks, then on to Paxson to overnight at a nice little cabin right off the Richardson & Denali Hwys. How many tourists miss Summit Lake or the Rainbow Mountains in Alaska? IMHO, the drive on the Richardson Hwy. from Delta Junction to Valdez is one of the loveliest drives of all of them. It's not congested and quite remote, so we really felt like we were seeing the real Alaska "from the road," so-to-speak. Also, by staying in Paxson, we got to drive the 20 miles paved section of the Denali Hwy. That is, without a doubt, a beautiful stretch of road! Although it's a little farther from Valdez, we'd stay again in Paxson over Glennallen.

The Glenn Hwy is also a terrific drive. Glad to see you are planning to spend some time at the Matanuska Glacier. You might want to grab a bite to eat at the Vista Restaurant.

The road from Palmer to Hatcher Pass is paved, however the rest that goes on to the Park Hwy is gravel. You'd have to go in and return by way of the paved road from Palmer.

Enjoy! Alaska is not to be missed!
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 07:35 PM

lia018, I have to ask, how have you managed to travel so much already this year? I am planning future vacations, and I have noticed that you are all over this forum! ;-)
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 08:24 PM

The Hatcher Pass IS paved from Palmer to Independence Mine.

I am fortunate to have 8 weeks paid off per year. Easy to travel a lot and already am back from a week in Alaska on the NCL Star. Will be returning in August, one way cruise, 2 weeks interior travel. The world is "small" so plenty of traveling opportunities for everyone. Live for today!!!
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for all of your help! I really appreciate it!

BayouGal, after I finally finished all of my schooling/training at the ripe old age of 31, I decided to spend a year doing locums work. I have the flexibility to take as much time off as I want, as long as I don't mind being unpaid! While doing locums, I move every 2-3 months and I'm lucky enough to be working in Anchorage this summer.