Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help! Which direction should we drive the Columbia River Gorge?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2003, 02:06 AM
R
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be driving from Calif to the Canadian Rockies in a few weeks. Hoping to get some taste of the Columbia River Gorge, altho' we won't have the time we'd like to *really* explore it properly, this time. (No time for hikes, for instance.)

Which direction do *you* prefer seeing it from? (and which side...Oregon or Wash?) We probably will only pass through this area in one direction...as we'll try to vary our long drive a bit, to & from Canada. Any guidance you could give would be most appreciated! (Btw, I've noticed other postings here asking which *section* of the Gorge is prettiest...but haven't found one, asking from which *directionI it's more impressive.)
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 06:24 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Take the "historic" gorge highway from Troutdale east to Cascade Locks or Hood River. The historic road parallels the freeway but is located at the top of the cliffs rather than at riverside elevation. It's old and twisty, but offers stunning views of the gorge. This part of the gorge is considered by most to be the most beautiful. Stop at any of the numerous waterfalls on the Oregon side, esp. Multnomah Falls which, while the most heavily visited, is still a spectacular sight.

At Cascade Locks or Hood River, cross the Columbia and continue east on the Washington side. Washington SR 4 is a lovely road that offers great vistas and views as the landscape becomes drier and more open. Look back from time to time to see Mt. Hood looking like Fuji over the sagebrush. Stop at Maryhill Museum just before the junction with US 97 to see the eclectic collections - Rodin sculpture, excellent native American arts & crafts, Art Nouveau furniture, and the wonderful miniature mannequins used by the French fashion industry to market their goods after WW2 - not enough fabric to make real fashions, so they made dolls with scaled-down attire, in sets designed by the Paris Opera. Fascinating.

How are you traveling to the Rockies after the Columbia Gorge? There are some great alternative routes you might investigate.
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 08:14 AM

Gardyloo has given excellent advice, since you can drive the gorge only once.

You could do the suggested trip in reverse.

When you are at Mary Hill Museum, you might want to check out the nearby Mary Hill Winery, which has a beautiful setting on the Columbia River.
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 09:50 AM

We followed Gardyloo's advice for the Gorge and it was bang on. I only wish we'd had the time and weather to continue with his suggested route. It was interesting to see the Gorge from the Oregon side and the Washington side. Both have their merits. I was surprised by how far out the Mary Hill museum was though.

By the way, in Troutdale is a factory outlet mall, McMenamins Edgefield guestrooms & winery (we didn't stay but it looked interesting) and Tad's Chicken 'n Dumplins (perhaps better for the riverside location than the food).

Old Sep 19th, 2003, 05:38 PM
R
Original Poster

Thank you all, for the input!
Just *perfect* & what we needed.

We drove along the Gorge once in light rain, on the main road, as my brother used to live in Gresham & we were on our way to Bend, I think. *Years* ago. Had little time to stop. (like this time, unfortunately)

Even tho' we *did* see Multnomah...we definitely want to see as much as time allows again, this trip. I know it's a most beautiful region!

Yes, we're heading to Banff & Jasper. Any advice you could share on "alternative" routes would be most welcome, as we try to nail down our plans here, & are a bit frustrated by all the choices & decision-making, we're needing to make in a time crunch. ;-)
Some thoughts so far: Up through Spokane (& maybe Idaho) to Cranbrook...then, up through Kootenay Nat'l Park to Moraine Lake area. (our first stay)
Then, when leaving to head home, out through Field/Yoho & across to Glacier & Revelstoke...but, then what??? Cut down right away...try to traverse those lakes & hit Nelson, before wending our way back down to Portland? (probably the slowest way...and maybe one we don't have time for) Other options? Continue on & then, cut down through B.C's wine country/fruit region...like Kelowna (I think the fires are letting up)...then, down through central Wash & Oregon?
Lastly, stay on the Transcanada 1 & cut down through Seattle & Portland on 5. Perhaps I shouldn't post this on the Oregon section...but it *does* sound like you Oregonians, or Oregon fans, might readily be able to assist us. Help welcome!!! Thank you.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 06:44 AM

A few years ago I drove the gorge from Portland, east coming back to Arkansas. We left early and headed for a lodge in Washington state and had an amazing champagne breakfast on Sunday morning, miles of food. It was Skamania Lodge about 50 miles out of Gresham definitely worth the trip. About $25 per person.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 02:26 PM

Instinctively I thought west to east (Portland to eastern Oregon) but after I thought about it... I think I was wrong. Eastern Oregon is very bare and brown and I think it would be much prettier to come facing the mountains (Adams, Hood) and coming into the green than going the other way. I think the brown and barren is a tad depressing (I'm a western Oregonian ok!). I am fascinated by the climate changes in such a short distance and think it is more interesting to watch it slowly get greener than slowly get browner.

I think the Oregon side on the old highway is much better than the Washington side, though the old highway is slow and crooked but so beautiful. Would be good to see from the car since you don't have time to stop. The Oregon side has more waterfalls.

Do be careful of time of day you are driving. Sun glare going east/west can be bad.

Enjoy your drive!
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 02:40 PM

I'd second the Tad's restaurant - only if you're there during the day and can sit by the river. Otherwise you're stuck with so so food and the horrible smell of chicken and dumplins for no reason!

really, I usually just stop for a drink the view is so pretty.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 06:26 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
If you're overnighting in the Portland area consider McMenamin's Edgefield in Troutdale. Funky, fun combination of hotel, restaurants, brewery, winery, golf course, movie, gardens... built within the premises of the old Multnomah County Poor Farm. Major hoot. www.mcmenamins.com

Our favorite route to the Canadian Rockies is convenient to your route. North on US 97 to Tonasket, stopping at Lake Chelan if you have time, or at one of approximately a zillion apple stands (get some hard cider in BC if you can, but don't drive full of applejack.) Then go east on SR 20 to the junction of SR 31, then north over the border (have a look at Metaline Falls - there's a remarkable highrise apartment building from the 1920s located out here in the deep boonies). Check out the gingerbread border station when you cross. Then on to Nelson BC, a very cute town featured in several films, and from there north on BC 6/23 (via the free ferry over the Columbia) to Revelstoke National Park. This part of BC is under-visited IMO - the Kootenay country has gorgeous mountain and lake scenery, cute towns, hot springs, and in the fall it ought to blow your eyeballs out. From Revelstoke follow TC 1 to Banff etc.

The northern tier of Washington State (and the southern tier of BC) is some of the prettiest country there is IMO, and on the US side amazingly empty.

This route - following the Columbia more or less to the headwaters, through Indian country, apple country, and into the mountains - is a remarkable slice of the west. If it sounds like I'm gushing, it's because I am. Woody Guthrie and Gordon Lightfoot on the box - or am I showing my vintage?
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 12:49 AM
R
Original Poster

Thank you everyone, for the additional info & assistance! Truly appreciate it!!! From where to consider brunch...to other food stops...to going from dry to green vs. green to dry...to favorite routes to the Rockies...*thank you*!

I'm a green landscape fan, too, btw...have come to appreciate the dry stuff, through my studies...but, first preference is for the more 'lush' areas. 'Course I'm secretly hoping for Fall colors, too...altho' we may be too early for Oregon's colors.

Thank you again, Gardyloo, for the details up to Canada! We may need to do your to-the-Rockies route in reverse, as we need to really 'jam' up there, (to reach a certain spot by an early date from when we leave Calif. due to that place closing at the end of Sept.) However, it should be fun to do that route on the way back, as well, I would think?! Look forward to it...I can't wait, after the way you describe it.
What a wonderful group of people on this Board...thank you, Rosemary
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 10:41 PM
R
Original Poster

Oops! Forgot to add, Gardyloo, that I was *amazed* you happened to mention Gordon Lightfoothere! \Revealing one's vintage or not...it's a great one! ;-) We love his music & enjoy it most esp. when driving in such countryside! And, I'm not sure if we're revealing our 'vintage' or not. I, like to think, not! Thanks again.