Reload this Page >

HELP! WHERE DO WE BEGIN?

Search

HELP! WHERE DO WE BEGIN?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 03:39 PM
ELLEN

HELP! WHERE DO WE BEGIN?

THERE IS A GROUP OF ABOUT 8 OF US PLANNING A TRIP TO ALASKA IN JUNE 2000. WE DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START. ORIGINALLY, I THOUGHT A CRUSIE WOULD BE NICE, BUT THE SHORE EXCURSIONS DON'T REALLY SEEM TO GIVE YOU ENOUGH TIME TO REALLY CHECK THINGS OUT. I ALSO HATE LARGE TOUR GROUPS AND LIKE TO SEE THINGS AT MY OWN PACE. WE ARE TRULY INTERESTED IN VIEWING WILDLIFE, GLACIERS, DENALI NATIONAL PARK AND ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS ANY ONE MAY HAVE. DOES ANY ONE KNOW IF YOU CAN BOOK A CRUISE FOR A FEW DAYS, GET OFF AND SIGHTSEE FOR A FEW DAYS, THEN GET BACK ON THE CRUISE SHIP AND HEAD BACK TO THE MAIN PORT? ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME. THANKS!

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 05:05 PM
Louis

Yes you can do all of those things but you are going to have to put a lot of personal effort into the arrangements. Start by getting a copy of the Alaska Vaction Planner from the State of Alaska. You can order it by calling (907) 465-2010 in Portland or they have a web site at http://avp.travelalaska.com. Perhaps you can order it there. You also can arrange for your own yacht. Check out http://www.yachtexplorer.com. Good luck.

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 05:19 PM
perry

just got back from a 'driving trip' in Alaska, and found it to be very convenient. Distances are great in AK, but the scenery is just awe-inspiring. If you don't like tour groups, combine a cruise with several days on your own...perhaps cruise into AK, along the coast, and finish up with a drive up to Denali, then fly out of Anchorage. Alaska's a very unique place in the world...well worth the visit.

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 05:23 PM
Louis

I just checked the yacht. It only holds 6 people but he may know of a larger yacht. Also, you can order the planner from the other web site. Sorry about the yacht. It sounded like a perfect solution for you at the start. There are larger boats that go out as you will see in the planner.

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 06:41 PM
Noah

There's no need to shout.

Old Sep 7th, 1999, 05:37 AM
Paul Rabe

Just a thought--

If you don't like large tour groups and prefer to see things at your own pace, then a cruise is about the LAST thing you should be interested in!! Perhaps you should consider flying into Anchorage, renting a couple of campers, and then driving around wherever you want. Take one-day cruises at Kenai Fjords, Homer, Valdez, and/or Whittier. You'll see all the wildlife you could want and get to see Alaska from the sea, both without the drawbacks of a cruise.

This way will require a lot more planning on your part, but I think you will find it worth it.

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 08:39 AM
CRAIG

ELLEN,my wife & i went to alaska the first week of june 99 and loved it, we flew into anch. rented a rv & went to seward for a day cruise that was great then to denali & fairbanks.this was our first trip to alaska and we planned it all our self.

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 11:14 AM
Cheryl Z.

Ellen, one of the things we enjoyed most up there a few years ago was trip in a light air craft over Denali Natl. Park and the mountains. Mt. Denali had some cloud cover but it was still an incredible trip. Think it was about an hour, seemed reasonably priced, plane held only about l0 or so people including the pilot if I recall. I think we booked the trip right there at the park.

Old Nov 23rd, 1999, 12:58 PM
TOM

Ellen-
Check out Cruise West. They offer cruises on smaller ships. I was on their Spirit of Endeavour this past summer, which only holds about 100 people. It was a great experience as the smaller ships allows closer access to the things important to you - ie. glacier and wildlife viewing. The ships are not luxurious, but the staff is attentive and the passengers extremely friendly. Another advantage is that Cruise West tries to be in ports when the other, larger ships are not there, cutting down on the crowds. They also provide add on trips, such as to Denali
Park, Anchorage etc. I highly recommend this company.

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 08:38 PM
Monica

Take advise from an Alaskan...you have to drive around to see our state! Fly into Anchorage and rent a car or RV.
You'll want to visit Kenai and take a fjords tour.Then drive up to Fairbanks stopping at Denali Park on the way.There are lots of camping areas and hotels (hotels are expensive in season)and lots of activities. While in Fairbanks go to the UAF museum, take a Riverboat tour then drive up to Chena Hot Springs. This drive is beautiful and one of the best for seeing wildlife. After Fairbanks drive to Valdez and take sightseeing or fishing charter. I recommend the Stan Stephens charters for sightseeing. Also take a hike on the Shoop Glacier trail (it starts out flat for quite a ways then makes it's way up a hill where you've got gorgeous ocean views). Also drive out to Thompson Pass (20 miles out of town) and just wander! While you're there you can visit the Worthington Glacier. They've just redone the visitors area of the glacier and you can walk up to it. It's beautiful! If you have any questions, feel free to send them my way. I grew up in Fairbanks and now live in Valdez, so I can give you some pointers on where to go! Check for websites...Chena Hot Springs has one (www.chenahotsprings.com), Anchorage
does too (www.anchorage.net). Haven't looked for any others.