Help! What about Tire Chains?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to be going to Portland Oregon from St Louis Mo. next week. I have read that we will need to have tire chains with us going thru the mountains. We will be driving a 4 WD or AWD SUV. It's AWD or 4wd as needed. Do you put them on all 4 wheels if I need them? Where is the best place to get them and are they expensive? What about difficulty in putting them on.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:38 PM

You definitely want to have chains with you when going through mountain passes. 4WD is good, but is worthless on ice, thus the chains. The chains only go on two tires, not four. IMHO the best place for buying chains around the PNW is Les Schwab...they are all over and have consistent good service. Oh and the chains are easy to put on...much improved over the years.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:59 PM

You probably will not be required to put on chains on major roads. I have never been asked to do so going skiing in the Sierras. When there is so much snow that AWD vehicles should be using chains, the highway is usually closed to all traffic. Check your vehicle to see where to put chains if that is needed on samll back roads. Some AWD are rear-whell based, others are front-wheel based.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:55 PM

First, check the Users Manual for your vehicle and make sure it's okay to install chains. If it is, go to a good tire shop in your home town and ask what they recommend. We have bought cables, called "Z" chains. They are relatively easy to install, but not a real fun experience, especially in the snow....You will want to practice before you head out. I think a pair should cost between $50 and $100.
Oregon Dept of Transportation has a website that includes their State requirements:
http://www.tripcheck.com/Winter/winterindex.htm
With your AWD or 4WD, you probably won't need to install the chains in Oregon, though you will be required to have them in your car and will want to install them if you feel your vehicle sliding.
You may want to check out the requirements of every state you'll be driving through in the mountains, so you know the requirements before you see the highway signs that say traction control devices are required.
You can call 511 in Oregon for road conditions on specific hwys, and I think this is the case in most states. Again, check the internet for more information on this.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 11:40 PM

If you go through the trouble to buy chains and have them ready to go, that'll probably guarantee dry roads and you won't have to use them.

If you skip 'em, you'll end up needing 'em -- at least if you have my luck.

On main roads, however, you're odds of needing the chains -- expecially on a 4WD are -- are slim.

But the advice about only using two if faulty. It's doable, but not recommended for most cars.

..."Chains mounted on front axle with 4WD/AWD - good acceleration, good steering, good braking. However, since the rear wheels have no lateral guidance, the rear end might come around - fast. Not good. Feather your brakes. Go slow...."

..."Chains mounted on rear axle with 4WD/AWD - good acceleration, lousy steering (no lateral guidance), so so braking (remember, 80% of brake force goes to front wheels and isn't put to use without chains). No fishtailing. Best compromise for 4WD with only one pair of chains. Go slow...."

``...Best option: Use chains on both sets.''

Also, on many 4WD or AWD vehicles having different tire shapes (as caused by chains on one set and not the other) is not a good thing for the drive trains.

http://www.4x4abc.com/ML320/ml_chains.html

BTW -- I'm missing the distinction about a vehicle that is ``AWD or 4WD as needed.'' If its AWD, then it's 4WD, right? If it's not, it's two-wheel drive with 4WD as needed. Just wondering.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:47 AM

Yikes I must have been dozing when I wrote that about the two tires! Sorry! Repete is correct.

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 11:34 PM

I live in the Cascades for half the year, and one of the biggest problems that people who are not used to driving a 4wd in the snow is that they go way too fast....SLOW DOWN! Do not do the posted speed limit in the snow. Just because you have 4wd doesn't mean you are God. Give the Mountain passes lost of respect and leave extra stopping room behind the person in front of you. Drive where the gravel is, not the compact ice where everyone else drives.

Also, does your rig have studs? Studs help out a lot and studded 4wds may not need chains, but if it is really bad, you will need them even with studded tires.

Even though I have a studded 4WD, I always carry chains, because if the sign says chains required on all vehicles most likely the roads are really, really bad and the State Patrol loves to give really expensive tickets for not having chains on.

Also, buy your chains before the Rockies, and buy good chains, not the really cheap cheap kind. I have seen more of the cheap kind broken and wrapped around axils, broken on the side of the road, etc. A good pair of chains is always worth the price and always cheaper than the tow bill or the insurance deductable. But, check the trucks tire clearance or call the dealer for chain information. There are a few 4wd's out there that state chains cannot be put on them because of inadaquate wheel well clearance, and if you put chains on them, it may invalidate any warranty on the car. Strange I know, but true.

Most importantly, try out your chains ahead of time. It is not fun trying to figure out chains in the snow for the first time. If you have to chain up try and do it in a safe out of the way of traffic, not stuck in the middle of the road on a blind corner. Don't become one of the stupid people who wait until it is too late and get stuck smack dab in the middle of the road. A wreck waiting to happen.

I also always have in my rig in the winter, a good small snow shovel (I have been high centered and the Cascade cement snow compacts very hard is difficult to move) flashlight, flares, warm blankets, food, water, a roll of TP, bungy cords (in case you need to tighten chains), and something to read if the pass's or road gets shut down, (generally do to a really bad wreck). So while the other people are wandering around cold and hungery, I snuggle in my blanket and read my book, happy as a clam.

The hardest part of your trip depending on the weather will be the Rockies, the Blue Mountains out of Pendleton Oregon and of course the unpredictable Columbia Gorge, all can get shut down due to weather or accidents.

Have fun and have patience if you encounter severe winter driving conditions on your trip.