Search

Alaskan Cruise

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alaskan Cruise

We are an English couple looking to take an Alaskan cruise and would like to hear recommendations on the best time to go (avoiding school vacations). We would also appreciate recommendations on cruise lines/ships, small and friendly preferred.
Many thanks,
Rich and Sue.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:16 AM

There are way fewer kids on Alaska cruises compared to the Caribbean, so I would not factor that heavily into any ship decision. There are no small- or medium ships now sailing Alaska of the major lines, smallest probably is HAL which is an excellent line in Alaska. To go the small ship route, look at Cruise West, Lindblad, Alaska Safari, Glacier Bay Cruises, there is also a sternwheeler that company excapes me?? Anyway- these last choice will run 3-4 times the costs of the majors. You need to research more- how much time are you investing- are you looking for interior Alaska travel- you'll need at least 2 weeks. Superior is independent travel interior, if going with a cruisetour- research fully and understand fully WHAT you are purchasing- a lot isn't disclosed.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 01:51 PM

However you decide to go, highly recommend a balcony upgrade. We did Royal Carribean to Alaska and enjoyed it alot, but having cruised with HAL, Princess, Celebrity to other destinations, am sure they would be good in Alaska as well. Also, to avoid school vacations, probably early June would be best.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 04:01 PM

We've taken Alaskans cruises in late May and late August. I strongly suggest August. Very few school children, more wildflowers and a chance to watch the salmon and bears at their most energetic.
The best prices we found were at vacationstogo.com and princess.com.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 04:31 PM

We did an Alaskan Cruise the last week of May last year on HAL. It was terrific. We were a group in our forties and we felt like youngsters compared to most people on the cruise. There were relatively no children at all. I also agree with the person who said to get a room with a balcony. It is the kind of cruise where you are close enough to shore at most time to see a lot. And HAL is a really good choice. Have a great time!!!
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:05 PM

We have enjoyed the small ship Clipper Cruise Line and will be taking the Alaska Cruise when the logistics permit.
In 2003, we were in SMdA, MX and could not take advantage of the 2 for 1 bargain deal offered via Intrav/USAA.
M
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 08:55 AM

See my other posts on Glacier Bay Cruises. Enjoy planning!
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 09:11 AM

Holland America Holland America Holland America.
One cruise in Caribbean, another this August to Alaska both on Zaandam.
Someone recommended balcony upgrade,I concur.
Service, Activities, Food, Ship. Our family had a perfect trip and anticipaing another.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 05:41 PM

Do not travel Princess under any circumstances. My family traveled with them this past summer, on the recommendation of a travel agent we trusted, and we had LOTS of problems. We will never travel with them again. Friends who have done this trip on Celebrity and Holland America have had a great experience. One other note - if you are comfortable with helicopters, so take one over the glaciers. We also went dogsledding, which was fabulous.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 08:23 PM

On the other end of the spectrum, we have cruise Princess 3 times this year (including Diamond Princess to Alaska) and had a terrific time on each occasion. The only thing I regret is not seeing Denali National Park, but heck, that gives us a reason to return

You may want to try www.cruisecritic.com for more suggestions.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 09:21 PM

You need to decide if you want a HUGE ship with spas, night clubs, multi restaurants, etc., or a smaller line that hits little coves, is more eco-conscious, see more critters close up.
Then refer to the previous threads.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 12:05 AM

We took a cruise with Princess (Island princess) from Whittier to Vancouver. It was fantastic. Could not fault them in any way. Do get a balcony cabin - waking up in College Fjords (Sp?)was something I will always remember. We went in June and it hardly got dark- and I slept with the drapes open so I could lie in bed and watch the fantastic scenery go by.It was great to eat lunch on your own balcony and just watch Glacier Bay all around you.We also took Princess tour interior by train to Denali and then Copper river. Again could not fault Princess organisation or accomodation. Though be warned the distances are vast and extremely tiring. If you opt for this do the tour first and cruise last to chill out. I think, if pushed, of all the memories of this trip, was a helicopter flight over Denali. It was one of those cold blue sky days. It was incredible. So beautiful I could not speak. You felt you could touch the snow on the mountains as we flew over the valleys and up to the peaks. I think the pilot thought I was a slightly batty Brit as I was all choked up when we landed.I will always remember it.