Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help w/ Onew Way Rental Car Drop Off reservation

Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any experieince or tips w/ oneway and drop offs? Trying to p/u SUV from Salt LAke to drop off in Billings and can't seem to get any of websites (Budget, Avis, Hertz, National) to work...
Are any rental car co better to work w/ than the others for oneway drop offs?

What higher rates do you think are going to be for drop off oneway?
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 07:22 AM

I just went to Hertz website and the problem there seems to be the SUV part of it - and this is something I have encountered in other places when trying to rent an SUV. Seems they are happier to rent you a one way regular car than an SUV.

Entering random dates for 1 week rental in August on Hertz site it costs $200-300 more to do this one-way rental with a mid-size car than RT with same vehicle.

Assuming you are going to GTNP and Yellowstone, there is no roadway reason to get an SUV.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 07:42 AM

Try doing it in the opposite direction and see if it works better, if going in to Billings and out of SLC is an option for you.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 08:46 AM

I don't think any one company is better or worse for one ways in general--it just depends on your route/vehicle type/time of year/etc. You just can't count on being able to do a one way rental--I've been stymied a number of times by this. There will be a lot more demand for vehicles in SLC than in Billings, so I can see where they might not allow you to leave the car there (or, charge a hefty drop off fee).
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 08:48 AM

I recently researched this for our two week trip in Tennessee. Renting a car in Memphis and dropping it off in Nashville cost $1,000 more than returning it to the same place where we rented. Yikes.

Since Nashville and Memphis are less than four hours apart, it made sense for us to do the RT rental instead.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 09:20 AM

I rented an suv from National in May from Jackson to Idaho Falls. I didn't have any trouble at all and the price, with a coupon, was the same. Must have been the off season. I also tried to rent a car in Portland to drop off in San Fran. It was $1000 more to do that.

An suv is not necessary in YS or GTNP. We had one in case of snow (it was May) but it was a waste of gas and money.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Txs for the f/u.
I am very frustrated.

It appears that I can't do this as indicated w/SUV drop off.

Since we are locked into taking my Dad to the DR out of Cody at the end of the trip, we realy can't reverse locations.

I am now looking at getting a regular car in Salt lake and dropping off one way in Cody & picking up & RTN a SUV in Cody. Airfare will cost more but I guess tht's the only option now.....