Help -Seniors Need Advice for AZ trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning a trip in late May from So. FL. Flying to Vegas, driving to the South Rim of Grand Canyon (2 days) then driving to Sedona (staying a few days) and on to Phoenix. Because we're only used to driving on flat, good roads - I'm worried about driving the mountains (for us a mountain is an overpass). Can anyone recommend:
1.Safest/shortest route (we also would like to see awesome scenery)
2.Hotel/B&B along the way
3.Tell us about approximately how long it would take from Canyon to Sedona so I can made lodging reservations
4. Recommend a route from Sedona to Phoenix.
All help and advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 03:57 PM

We planned this trip in Feb. 2004--except we flew into Phoenix and out of Las Vegas, but were unable to get to the Grand Canyon because of snow.
May should be a really nice time to visit the area.

When we were reserving cars, the only agency that didn't charge extra for a one way rental was Budget.

I would try to stay at the Grand Canyon. Make reservations at www.xanterra.com. I would drive straight to the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas. I remember being amazed at the speed limit--85??You are in the middle of nowhere. Rt93 to 40E. Then head to Sedona, only a couple hours away. There are lots of nice places to stay in Sedona. From Sedona it is only about 2 hours to Phoenix. We took Rt. 17.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input, Lindainohio...we rented a convertable from Dollar in Vegas, returning it in Phoenix (there are some perks in being a "senior"). We already have reservations at the Kachina Lodge at the Grand Canyon..However, we were worried about driving from there to Sedona, how are the roads? Since I'll be doing most of the driving I was worried about winding, mountainous, scary roads, as So. Florida doesn't prepare one for that type of driving. How are the roads from Sedona to Phoenix - since you said that it took 2 hrs..can't be too bad I guess. Can't believe how nervous I am about mountain driving...and wonder if it's justified.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 05:38 PM
TheWeasel

The roads from the S. Rim to Flagstaff aren't particularly scary. The most scenic route from Flagstaff to Sedona (89A), however, would be through Oak Creek Canyon, and at least the initial part would probably be scary. It's winding and involves switchbacks as you descend into the canyon. Once down in the canyon, the road is maybe a bit narrow and winding, but fairly flat.

I'd say it's about 1.5 hours from s. Rim to Flagstaff, and another hour from there to Sedona. If you decide to take the scenic route (as opposed to the longer I-17 to Hwy. 179 route), make sure you go in daylight hours and give yourself time so you can stop if you feel rushed/scared. It really is quite scenic and you should at least attempt to drive it. If you do, please remember to pull off to the side at designated turnouts if you notice a line of cars behind you. A lot of people drive slowly on these types of roads (for various reasons) and the road doesn't have many safe passing areas. It's always appreciated if slower drivers pull off periodically to allow others to get by safely.

Old Jan 29th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your help, I'll make sure that I do all this driving in the daytime.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 03:28 PM

The road thru Oak Creek Canyon(between Flagstaff and Sedona) is a twisty, mountain road. Take the longer route by going down I17 and then across to Sedona if you are really scared.

However, the road is really not that scary - just go the posted speed limit and you will do fine. Coming from Flagstaff, you are on the inside part of the road, and not on the 'cliff' side.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 09:24 AM

Having done two extensive driving trips in AZ, I have to say the roads there are some of the best we've ever encountered anywhere (rivals the Austrian autobahns.) Only time I was scared was driving in N AZ to Flagstaff from the Grand Canyon in February when there was a lot of ice on the road.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate the advice - it's so good to hear from people who have actually done the deed. Thanks to you, I'll be taking the scenic route all the way.
As for #2, I've made reservations at the Hampton Inn Sedona; it got wonderful reviews (heated poot, hot tub, free hot breakfast, etc.). We are so looking forward to seeing this beautiful area. Again thanks.